[hugoye-l] El Shaddai?

  • petersig@ccat.sas.upenn.edu
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 11, 2002
      Dear Listmembers:
      In the fields of Classics, NT, and Patristic literatures in Greek and
      Latin, there are resources for searching on individual words, across the
      whole corpus, if need be. In the Hebrew and Aramaic of Biblical and
      Rabbinic literature, such possibilities also exist. In Syriac Studies,
      such scholarly tools don't exist, as far as I know. As a result, I am
      appealing to the breadth of knowledge of Syriac texts represented by this
      list.

      I am interested in finding out whether the Hebrew name of God "El Shaddai"
      occurs in other Syriac texts besides the one I am working with, an
      anonymous memra anthologized in Robert L. Bensly and William E. Barnes,
      THE FOURTH BOOK OF MACCABEES AND KINDRED DOCUMENTS (Cambridge, 1895).

      If it does occur, also, is it in a context in any way related to oaths?

      My thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

      Sigrid Peterson
      ABD Religious Studies
      University of Pennsylvania
      petersig@...
    • J.J. van Ginkel
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 12, 2002
        According to Thesaurus Syriacus it also occurs in the Hymni et
        Sermones, of Ephraim, edited by T-J Lamy, 1882-1889 (II. 557.2)
        (= Thes. 4067).

        You could also ask the researcherts of the Comprehensive
        Aramaic Lexikon project in Cincinatti, whether they have it in their
        database. (I doubt it!)
        http://cal1.cn.huc.edu/
        Good luck,
        J.J. van Ginkel
        (University of Utrecht)

        > Dear Listmembers:
        > In the fields of Classics, NT, and Patristic literatures in Greek
        > and
        > Latin, there are resources for searching on individual words, across
        > the whole corpus, if need be. In the Hebrew and Aramaic of Biblical
        > and Rabbinic literature, such possibilities also exist. In Syriac
        > Studies, such scholarly tools don't exist, as far as I know. As a
        > result, I am appealing to the breadth of knowledge of Syriac texts
        > represented by this list.
        >
        > I am interested in finding out whether the Hebrew name of God "El
        > Shaddai" occurs in other Syriac texts besides the one I am working
        > with, an anonymous memra anthologized in Robert L. Bensly and William
        > E. Barnes, THE FOURTH BOOK OF MACCABEES AND KINDRED DOCUMENTS
        > (Cambridge, 1895).
        >
        > If it does occur, also, is it in a context in any way related to
        > oaths?
        >
        > My thanks in advance for any and all assistance.
        >
        > Sigrid Peterson
        > ABD Religious Studies
        > University of Pennsylvania
        > petersig@...
        >

        > -----
        >
        > Syriac Computing Institute [http://syrcom.cua.edu]
        >
        > Hugoye Journal [http://syrcom.cua.edu/Hugoye]
        >
        > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Lund, Jerome
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 13, 2002
          RE: [hugoye-l] El Shaddai?

            Dear Sigrid:

            "El Shaddai" in Syriac texts comes directly from the Hebrew in Peshitta Genesis (17:1; 28:3; 35:11; 43:14; 48:3; 49:25) and Peshitta Exodus (6:3). It also appears in Peshitta Ruth 1:20.

            Aphrem cites both Gen 48:3 and Gen 49:25 in his commentary on Genesis. Aphrahat records "El Shaddai" as a name of God in his 17th taxwitha concerning the Messiah (Wright p. 335, line 2), obviously drawn from the Bible.

            You should consult the various Syriac commentators for insight as to how they understood the name. For example, the anonymous Genesis commentary found at Diyarbakir (published by Van Rompay in 1986) records 2 interpretations: 1) 'mighty God' (attributed to Rabban) and 2) 'God of promises' (based on a Syriac etymology from $wdy 'to promise').

            You should also be aware the Shaddai appears as the divine element in the personal names Ammishaddai (Numbers), Tsurishaddai (Numbers), and Ebadshaddai (Addai - variant reading).

            The name "El Shaddai" also appears on an incantation bowl (V. P. Hamilton, Syriac Incantation Bowls, unpublished Ph. D. dissertation, Brandeis University, 1986: bowl 6, line 9).

            Most of this material is readily accessible at the Comprehensive Aramaic website: http://cal1.cn.huc.edu/ .

            I hope that this helps your research.

            Jerome A. Lund, Ph. D.

            Dr. Jerome A. Lund