Re: virus alert

  • PROF JOHANN COOK
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2002
      Date sent: Wed, 1 May 2002 10:23:20 +200
      Send reply to: ioscsexec-l@...
      From: "PROF JOHANN COOK" <Cook@...>
      To: "IOSCS Executive Committee" <ioscsexec-l@...>
      Subject: Re: virus alert

      Date sent: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 19:55:53 -0700
      From: John Van Seters <john.vanseters@...>
      Send reply to: john.vanseters@...
      To: cook@...
      Subject: virus alert

      Colleagues

      I just received the following messgae from John van Seters.
      PLEASE TAKE IT SERIOUS SINCE I GOT THIS VIRUS
      FROM HIM. Do as he suggests.

      Johann

      Johann,
      I just got word from France that there was a virus that was travellin
      through the mail. I discovered that
      it was in my system for the last week. Apparently it has a two week
      delay, but it MUST BE ELIMINATED!!

      Here are the instructions I received:
      1. Go to start and click on "find"
      2. In the search window enter jdbgmgr.exe (the name of the virus)
      3. search in drive "C"
      4. click on the "find now"
      5. if you find the virus with the icon of a little teddy bear, DO NOT
      OPEN.
      6. highlight and then press the right button on your mouse and delete
      (go
      to waste basket) or you can delete by pressing shift delete.
      7. Go to waste basket and empty the trash completely.

      The suggestion is to repeat this procedure several times over the next
      little while. If you have it you will want to alert others on your
      address list because it travels through your mail. I do not know how I
      got it
      myself.
      Sorry about this.
      Yours,
      John

      Prof. Johann Cook
      Department of Ancient Studies
      UNIVERSITY OF STELLENBOSCH, PRIVATE BAG X1 MATIELAND ZA-7602
      SOUTH AFRICA
      TEL:(0027-21) 8083203; 8083207
      FAX: (0027-21) 8083480
      E-mail: cook@...
      HOMEPAGES:
      http://www.sun.ac.za/as (Ancient Studies)
      http://www.sun.ac.za/as/journals/jnsl
      (Journal of Northwest Semitic Languages)
      Prof. Johann Cook
      Department of Ancient Studies
      UNIVERSITY OF STELLENBOSCH, PRIVATE BAG X1 MATIELAND ZA-7602
      SOUTH AFRICA
      TEL:(0027-21) 8083203; 8083207
      FAX: (0027-21) 8083480
      E-mail: cook@...
      HOMEPAGES:
      http://www.sun.ac.za/as (Ancient Studies)
      http://www.sun.ac.za/as/journals/jnsl
      (Journal of Northwest Semitic Languages)
    • Dominique GONNET
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2002
        Dear friends,

        It is not a virus, it is a file necessary for Windows. Look at:

        http://www.vmyths.com/hoax.cfm?id=275&page=3

        Sincerely yours.

        Dominique Gonnet (Sources Chretiennes)

[...]

        -----

        Syriac Computing Institute [http://syrcom.cua.edu]

        Hugoye Journal [http://syrcom.cua.edu/Hugoye]

      • J.J. van Ginkel
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2002
          Be carefull. This message is most probably a hoax.
          Hav a look at
          http://www.europe.f-secure.com/hoaxes/jdbgmgr.shtml
          or
          http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/jdbgmgr.exe.file.hoax
          .html

          If you delete this file (jdbgmgr.exe) you are interfering with
          Windows itself. Rather than a virus, you yourself are damaging
          your system.
          Rather than do something yourself, check with a good virusscan
          whether there really is a virus on your computer.

          Best wishes,
          Jan van Ginkel
          University of Utrecht