Re: [hugoye-list] A question about Athanasius of Balad

  • ephrem ishac
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 16, 2013
    Dear Prof Said,
    I think the date in the Wikipedia is wrong (634), because none of the other references mention his birth date although they approximately agree with his death date (687+). We know that he was consecrated as a Patriarch in late 683(or 684) and he consecrated Jacob of Edessa (633-708+) in 684 as the bishop of Edessa. They already knew each others in Qenneshrine School (before 672), but often were presented in the sources as colleagues. I guess, his birth date was confused with Jacob of Edessa's, but he should be much older.
    You can also check :
    H. Teule, "Athanasius of Balad", Christian-Muslim Relations: A bibliographical History, ed. D.Thomas and B. Roggema, V1 (600-900), Brill 2009, pp.157-9.
    S.Brock, "Some notes on the Syriac translations of Porphyry’s Eisagoge," Mélanges en hommage au prof. et penseur libanais Farid Jabre (Publications de l'Université libanaise, Section des études philosophiques et sociales) 20, 1989, pp. 44-46.

    (which I am attaching them here)
    Hope this would be bit helpful,
    Ephrem