Gorgias Encyclopedic Dictionary of the Syriac Heritage

  • hugoye-list-owner@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 2, 2011

      Dear list members,

      As many of you know, the Gorgias Encyclopedic Dictionary of the Syriac Heritage, a work roughly ten years in the making with over 70 contributors, is finally available. Many of you were able to catch a first glimpse of this one-of-a-kind volume at the recent SBL/AAR conference in San Francisco.

      If you are interested in procuring your own copy (or a copy for your institution's library), you have 2 options:

      1) You can purchase a copy through the Gorgias Press website: http://www.gorgiaspress.com/bookshop/showproduct.aspx?isbn=978-1-59333-714-8&1534-D83A_1933715A=d9b338d478eb1b8fc3b49ac0fdcc00bee8450ad1

      -OR-

      2) You can join the Bnay Beth Mardutho and receive a complimentary copy of the GEDSH and a complimentary subscription to the print edition of Hugoye: Journal of Syriac Studies (the latter of which you will continue to receive for as long as you retain your membership). There are three levels of support for the Bnay Beth Mardutho, and the first level (the "Makikhe") costs just $100/yr, which is almost exactly what the GEDSH costs if you buy it alone. So, if you or someone you know would like a copy of the GEDSH, it is actually more cost effective for you to join the Bnay Beth Mardutho.

      We are able to do this because the GEDSH is a Beth Mardutho sponsored publication, and all of the proceeds that we receive from Bnay Beth Mardutho subscriptions goes directly to supporting the mission of Beth Mardutho. And the GEDSH is just the initial benefit for members of the Bnay BM; we plan on offering other discounts and member privileges in the near future. So we encourage you to join now so that you can get your copy of the GEDSH as soon as possible!

      If you'd like to join the Bnay BM and get your complimentary copy of the GEDSH, click this link and follow the directions at the bottom of the page: http://www.bethmardutho.org/index.php/membership/bnay-beth-mardutho.html

      And if you'd like to see the list of all who have joined the Bnay BM so far, click here: http://www.bethmardutho.org/index.php/membership/bnay-beth-mardutho/478.html

      Blurb:

      The Gorgias Encyclopedic Dictionary of the Syriac Heritage (GEDSH) is the first major encyclopedia-type reference work devoted exclusively to Syriac Christianity, both as a field of scholarly inquiry and as the inheritance of Syriac Christians today. In more than 600 entries it covers the Syriac heritage from its beginnings in the first centuries of the Common Era up to the present day. Special attention is given to authors, literary works, scholars, and locations that are associated with the Classical Syriac tradition. Within this tradition, the diversity of Syriac Christianity is highlighted as well as Syriac Christianity's broader literary and historical contexts, with major entries devoted to Greek and Arabic authors and more general themes, such as Syriac Christianity's contacts with Judaism and Islam, and with Armenian, Coptic, Ethiopian, and Georgian Christianities. In addition to the literary tradition, inscriptions and objects of art are given due consideration. The entries are accompanied by 131 illustrations, twenty of which are in color. The volume closes with maps, lists of patriarchs of the main Syriac Churches of the Middle East, and elaborate indices.

    • Todd Godwin
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 2, 2011
        hello all,

        Does anyone here have any thoughts on the so-called "Nestorian" cross suggested to be among the Dunhuang materials?  Several reputable art historical studies, such as R. Whitfield and Farrer's book Caves of the the Thousand Buddhas: Chinese Art from the Silk Route (on page 34), suggest that it is.  I have my doubts, despite my wishes that it were.

        Yahoo! Groups

        .

      • ESAREX
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 2, 2011
        • 1 Attachment
        • 22 KB
        I have not seen this wonderful work nor even, I confess, was I aware of its being in progress. Hence the question: to what a degree is Syrian monasticism covered, and are the monasteries of the Church of the East enumerated and described?

        I'd be grateful for any personal message on this, e-mail below.

        Regards,

        Alexei.
        ------------------------
        Alexei Savchenko
        +38 097 2616364
        ESAREX@...
        www.exploration-eurasia.com
      • Todd Godwin
        Message 4 of 25 , Dec 2, 2011
          I need to update my query folks, sorry.  The image on page 24 of Whitfield's book does not beyond a shadow of a doubt resemble other "Nestorian" crosses, but it looks as if there is more than one image among the Dunhuang materials that have crosses.  The one depicted here, in the link below, which is from a pretty scholarly piece of writing as far as internet information goes, does look very much 'Nestorian.' There are some good refereneces at the end of the piece too. This is a highly specialized field of study and there are only a handful of people in the world I can think of who'd really understand how to contextualize these images, and the one I have an email for is not returning emails or is not an email that works.  So if anyone would be able to help, I'd appreciate it.

          http://earlytibet.com/2007/12/02/christianity-in-early-tibet/

          thanks, Todd Godwin

          To: hugoye-list@yahoogroups.com
          From: toddgodwin@...
          Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 15:14:31 +0000
          Subject: [hugoye-list] so-called 'Nestorian' cross at Dunhuang

          hello all,

          Does anyone here have any thoughts on the so-called "Nestorian" cross suggested to be among the Dunhuang materials?  Several reputable art historical studies, such as R. Whitfield and Farrer's book Caves of the the Thousand Buddhas: Chinese Art from the Silk Route (on page 34), suggest that it is.  I have my doubts, despite my wishes that it were.

          Yahoo! Groups

          .

        • Aaron Michael Butts
          Message 5 of 25 , Dec 2, 2011
            Dear Alexei,

            There are entries for both Monasticism and the Monastery of Beth Abe (as
            well as one on the Chald. Monastery of Rabban Hormizd). There is fuller
            coverage for E.-Syr. authors and literature related to monasticism:
            Abraham of Kashkar, Dadisho Qatraya, Enanisho, Ishaq of Nineveh, Toma of
            Marga, Yohannan of Dalyatha, etc.

            Best regards,

            Aaron

            ----
            Aaron M. Butts
            Lector of Semitics
            Near Eastern Languages & Civilizations
            Yale University
            http://pantheon.yale.edu/~ab949

            On 12/2/2011 10:40 AM, ESAREX wrote:
            > [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from ESAREX included below]
            >
            > I have not seen this wonderful work nor even, I confess, was I aware of
            > its being in progress. Hence the question: to what a degree is Syrian
            > monasticism covered, and are the monasteries of the Church of the East
            > enumerated and described?
            >
            > I'd be grateful for any personal message on this, e-mail below.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Alexei.
            > ------------------------
            > Alexei Savchenko
            > +38 097 2616364
            > ESAREX@... <mailto:ESAREX%40gmail.com>
            > www.exploration-eurasia.com

          • Zekai ERDAL
            Message 6 of 25 , Dec 15, 2011
              Dear Members,

              I am a Phd Student. Therefore I have to prepare a PPT about Monumental Architecture of Syriac monasteries and Churches in Iraq, İran, Syria, Egpyt, India and Turkey. I need som architectural plans of Monasteries and Churches. I found Monasteries and Churches of Tub abdin region. but I can't find other countries...

              Could you help me?

              Thanks,
              zekai Erdal /van
              Phd Student.
            • Youhanna Youssef
              Message 7 of 25 , Dec 15, 2011
                Dear Zekai,
                For Egypt
                Grossmann 2002. Christliche Architektur in Ägypten. Handbook of Oriental studies. Section one, Near and Middle East. Handbuch der Orientalistik 62. Leiden/Boston/Köln

                Ancient Egyptian construction and architecture / by Somers Clarke and R. Engelbach

                Bishop Samuel and Badii Habib, Guide to the Churches of Upper Egypt
                Bishop Samuel and Badii Habib, Guide to the Churches of Lower Egypt.
                in addition the excavations of the Coptic sites always have plan
                All the best

                Youhanna Nessim Youssef Senior Research Associate Centre of Early Christian Studies Australian Catholic University

                To: hugoye-list@yahoogroups.com

                Message 8 of 25 , Dec 15, 2011

                  Dear members

                  I sent an e-mail about monumental architectural monasteries and churches of Syriac. thanks for repling. but I can't find that books. Because I live in Van. as you know an eartquake was in Van region. Therefore there are no books, and no important informations about Syriac monument in Van Region. I hope You understan me...
                  Please Could you send me That plans.... (for example monasteries of Iraq and İran, etc...)

                  thnaks,
                  zekai Erdal/van

                  Message 9 of 25 , Dec 16, 2011
                    Shlomo Zeki,

                    As soon as I have a chance, I will scan some pages from Butler's 'Early churches in Syria' and send them to you.

                    Fush ba-shlomo,

                    Kees

                    ________________________

                    Dr. Kees den Biesen

                    Office
                    Syrisch Orthodox Aartsbisdom
                    St. Efrem de Syrier Klooster
                    Glanerbrugstraat 33

                    NL
                    - 7585 PK Glane
                    Mobile 0646.555.781

                    Eisenbahnweg 5A
                    D – 48599 Gronau
                    Phone +49-2562.7011.377

                    Affiliations
                    Institute for Eastern Christian Studies, Nijmegen (www.ru.nl/ivoc)
                    Center for Patristic Research, Amsterdam-Utrecht (www.patristiek.eu)
                    Dominicaans Studiecentrum voor Theologie en Maatschappij, Nijmegen (www.dsts.nl)

                    To: hugoye-list@yahoogroups.com

                    From: zekaierdal@...
                    Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 09:36:03 -0800

                    Dear Members,

                    I am a Phd Student. Therefore I have to prepare a PPT about Monumental Architecture of Syriac monasteries and Churches in Iraq, İran, Syria, Egpyt, India and Turkey. I need som architectural plans of Monasteries and Churches. I found Monasteries and Churches of Tub abdin region. but I can't find other countries...

                    Could you help me?

                    Thanks,
                    zekai Erdal /van
                    Phd Student.

                  • Ashurov Barakatullo
                    Message 10 of 25 , Dec 16, 2011

                     Zekai,

                    i am attaching 2 articles that have both bibliography and some images of the church plans....

                    let me know if you could read them or need more help.

                    Best

                     Barakatullo Ashurov

                    Message 11 of 25 , Feb 10, 2012

                      Annoucement from Gorgias Press

                      The Gorgias Encyclopedic Dictionary of the Syriac Heritage arrived yesterday from the printer, and all hands are on deck at Gorgias to get it out to customers. Order your copy today!

                      Gorgias Encyclopedic Dictionary of the Syriac Heritage
                      ISBN 978-1-59333-714-8, $160 ($92 for students and scholars)

[...]

                      George

                      George A. Kiraz,
                      M.St. (Oxon), M.Phil., Ph.D. (Cantab)
                      Editor-in-Chief, Gorgias Press
                      954 River Road
                      Piscataway , NJ 08854
                      Tel. +1 732-885-8900
                      Fax +1 732-885-8908
                      http://www.gorgiaspress.com

                      ܐܬܟܬܒܬ ܐܓܪܬܢܝܬܐ ܗܕܐ ܒܝܕ ܚܕ ܕܘܝܐ ܘܚܛܝܐ ܕܠܐ ܫܘܐ ܕܢܕܟܪ ܫܡܗ ܐܠܐ ܡܛܠ ܨܠܘ̈ܬܐ ܘܒܥܘ̈ܬܐ ܕܩܪܘܝܐ܆ ܘܐܫܬܕܪܬ ܕܝܢ ܒܐܘܪܚܐ ܬܡܝܗܐ ܕܒܝܬ ܢܫܒܐ ܕܝܕܝܥ ܒܫܡ ܐܝܢܛܪܢܛ ܡ̣ܢ ܚܫܘܒܬܐ ܠܐܚܪܬܐ ܥܕܡܐ ܕܡܛܬ ܠܡܪܬܝܢܐ ܕܩܪܘܝܐ ܠܒܝܒܐ܆ ܘܒܐܝܢܐ ܐܬܪܐ ܥܒܪܬ ܐ̱ܢܫ ܠܐ ܝܕܥ܆ ܘܠܟܡܐ ܛܟܣ̈ܐ ܐܠܩܛܪ̈ܘܢܝܐ ܣܥܪܬ ܐܦ ܐ̱ܢܫ ܠܐ ܝܕܥ ܐܠܐ ܐܠܗܐ ܡܛܟܣܢܐ ܕܟܠܗܝܢ ܒܪ̈ܝܬܐ܀

                      ** This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to whom it is addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and/or privileged information. Please contact me immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take action relying on it. Any communication received in error, or subsequent reply, should be deleted or destroyed.**

                    • Istvan Perczel
                      Message 12 of 25 , Feb 10, 2012

                        Dear list Members,

                        What can we know about a possible Syriac translation of Gregory of Nazianzus's three theological letters (Letters no. 100, 101 and 102)? iS there such a translation and, if so, is it available? I am reading with a student and colleague the Greek and Armenian texts and would very much need the Syriac - if it exists - as a tertium comparationis.

                        Thankfully,

                        Istvan Perczel

                      • Jonathan Loopstra
                        Message 13 of 25 , Feb 10, 2012

                          Dear Istvan,

                          Gregory's "Theological Letters" to Cledonius (Epp. 101 and 102) are included in Paul’s version of the Orations.  The letters that have been published would be in the CN series.  These letters are also present in earlier collections found in multiple Syriac mss, which I have listed here.  BL Add. 17191, a ninth- or tenth-century work, contains extracts from several of Gregory's letters including Ep. 101 (fols. 64v-66r). Wright, Catalogue BM, 2:696a-701a (DCCLIII). Epp. 101 and 102 occur in an earlier sixth-century MS BL Add. 14550 (fols. 100r-105r). Ibid., 2:443b-443b (DLXTV). Ep. 102 occurs, without Ep. 101, in the sixth- or seventh-century MS BL Add. 14612 (fols. 253v-255v). Ibid., 2:443b-444b (DCCLIII)

                          I have the text of this earlier version in Meltho if you so desire.

                          My best,

                          Jonathan

                          Message 14 of 25 , Feb 10, 2012
                            Dear Jonathan,

                            This is great, thanks! If by CN you mean the Corpus Nazianzenum published in Louvain la Neuve, I wonder whether the letters to Kledonios and Letter 103 have been included. If you could send us the text of the earlier version, this would help us very much. The methodological problem with which we are struggling is the following: the Armenian version was made in the Hellenising period, so it is, in principle, a word for word translation, as far as this is possible without doing violence to the structure of the language. Yet, there are important differences between the Greek and the Armenian text. As the Greek manuscripts are quite late and the Armenian translation quite early, there are all the chances that the Armenian goes back to a hyparchetype that is different from and earlier than the common hyparchetype of all the families of the Greek text transmission. The comparative philological analysis seems to confirm this hypothesis. At the same time, the Armenian seems to have a miaphysite slant, but the Greek a dyophysite slant. Then, who changed the text, how and why, or was there any conscious modification at all? If the Armenian text has miaphysite leanings, was there such a Greek text, which was translated, or are the differences due to the Armenian translator etc.? The Syriac as tertium comparationis would greatly help to decide these questions in the case of concrete loci. So if you can send us the Meltho version of the first translation, that would be great!

                            I am also cc-ing this to Gohar, with whom we are reading the texts.

                            Best,

                            István

                            To: hugoye-list@yahoogroups.com
                            From: jonathanloopstra@...
                            Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 11:21:28 -0500
                            Subject: Re: [hugoye-list] Letters to Kledonios in Syriac?

[...]

                          • Françoise Briquel Chatonnet
                            Message 15 of 25 , Feb 20, 2012
                              Dear George
                              I received it today and just had short time to look at it. Congratulations, it will be most useful.
                              I understand that the one I received is as Bat Beth Mardutho. I think I was supposed to get one also as a contributor. Is that still true?
                              All the best. Françoise

                              --

                            • Françoise Briquel Chatonnet

                                Message 17 of 25 , Feb 21, 2012
                                  Dear list-members,

                                  As many of you now know, Gorgias Press has begun shipping copies of the Gorgias Encyclopedic Dictionary of the Syriac Heritage! If you have not seen one yet, we wanted to give you just a preview of this invaluable resource. So, we made a web-page that lists all 600+ entries:
                                  http://www.bethmardutho.org/index.php/projects/list-of-gedsh-entries.html

                                  We hope that the GEDSH will be a helpful resource for you for years to come. If you know of any one who needs convincing why they need this resource, feel free to share this web-page with them.

                                  Best regards,

                                  Beth Mardutho Staff
                                • Brian Colless
                                  Message 18 of 25 , Feb 21, 2012
                                    I studiously looked at all the items on the list, starting from the top and working through to the end (and eventually near the bottom I found my own contribution).

                                    It struck me that this was the right time for this project to be undertaken, as Sebastian Brock was free to write so many of the pieces.

                                    But there is no article on S.P. Brock, though Brockelmann is there (H. Kaufhold), along with Brooks, Budge, and Burkitt (all memorialized by our own [Saint] Sebastian). I guess one has to be dead to be allowed into this hall of fame.

                                    Brian Colless PhD ThD
                                    Massey University
                                    New Zealand

                                    On 22/02/2012, at 11:41 AM, hugoye-list-owner@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                                    Dear list-members,

                                    As many of you now know, Gorgias Press has begun shipping copies of the Gorgias Encyclopedic Dictionary of the Syriac Heritage! If you have not seen one yet, we wanted to give you just a preview of this invaluable resource. So, we made a web-page that lists all 600+ entries:
                                    http://www.bethmardutho.org/index.php/projects/list-of-gedsh-entries.html

                                    We hope that the GEDSH will be a helpful resource for you for years to come. If you know of any one who needs convincing why they need this resource, feel free to share this web-page with them.

                                    Best regards,

                                    Beth Mardutho Staff

                                  • Ralph_Lee
                                    Message 19 of 25 , Feb 21, 2012
                                      I cannot get this link to work.

                                      Regards

                                      Ralph

                                      On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 01:41:39 +0300, <hugoye-list-owner@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                      we made a web-page that lists all 600+ entries: http://www.bethmardutho.org/index.php/projects/list-of-gedsh-entries.html

                                      --
                                      Dr Ralph Lee
                                      c/o Holy Trinity Theological College
                                      Message 20 of 25 , Feb 21, 2012
                                        The correct link is:
                                        http://www.bethmardutho.org/index.php/projects/gorgias-encyclopedic-dictionary-syriac-heritage/518.html

                                        Dn Shaun Mathew
                                        SEERI, Kottayam

                                        --- In hugoye-list@yahoogroups.com, Ralph_Lee <ralph_lee@...> wrote:

                                        > I cannot get this link to work.
                                        >
                                        > Regards
                                        >
                                        > Ralph
                                        >
                                        > On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 01:41:39 +0300, <hugoye-list-owner@yahoogroups.com>
                                        > wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > we made a web-page that lists all 600+ entries:
                                        > > http://www.bethmardutho.org/index.php/projects/list-of-gedsh-entries.html
                                        >

                                        > --
                                        > Dr Ralph Lee
                                        > c/o Holy Trinity Theological College
                                        > PO Box 31244
                                        > Addis Ababa
                                        > Ethiopia
                                        > Tel
                                        > +251912611509 (Ethiopia)
                                        > +447906149088 (UK)

                                      • Barbara Roggema
                                        Message 21 of 25 , Feb 22, 2012

                                          Message 22 of 25 , Feb 27, 2012
                                            Greetings all,

                                            Perhaps you have seen the story on the "secret Aramaic Gospel of Barnabas" and the surrounding controversy.

                                            Wasn't there someone on this listserv that was approached with fake Syriac texts in the past year? Were those also composed with the same material?

                                            It would be helpful to have a Syriac scholar respond to the claims in the story and the accompanying images.

                                            All the best,

                                            David Bertaina
                                            Assistant Professor
                                            University of Illinois Springfield

                                          • Ginkel, J.J. van
                                            Message 23 of 25 , Feb 27, 2012
                                              Greetings,

                                              I think you refer to this discussion on Hugoye:
                                              It was about a bible apprehended in Northern cyprus. BTW, as in various reports on this bible they showed some of the pictures you could see in 2009 I kind of suspect that it is actually the same `Bible'...
                                              Jan van Ginkel
                                              Leiden

                                              ________________________________

                                              Perhaps you have seen the story on the "secret Aramaic Gospel of Barnabas" and the surrounding controversy.

                                              http://now.msn.com/now/0227-secret-turkish-bible.aspx

                                              Wasn't there someone on this listserv that was approached with fake Syriac texts in the past year? Were those also composed with the same material?

                                              It would be helpful to have a Syriac scholar respond to the claims in the story and the accompanying images.

                                              All the best,

                                              David Bertaina
                                              Assistant Professor
                                              University of Illinois Springfield

                                              ******************* IMPORTANT ! *******************************
                                              The content of this email was found to
                                              contain potentially hostile or malicious content.
                                              For your protection, eSafes Content Security Server has
                                              modified this email and removed the dangerous content.
                                              *

                                              Found invalid IMG Tag, Objects Removed: IMG(1)
                                            • Alain Desreumaux
                                              Message 24 of 25 , Feb 27, 2012
                                                Nous avons vu des manuscrits grossiers qui ressemblaient à cela : cuir épais, feutre "or" acheté chez le libraire du quartier, écriture post-médiévale agrémentée de petits dessins naïfs et signes à prétention magique... il y a eu une vague de faussaires simplets depuis quelques années, notamment au Kurdistan, essayant de vendre ces laborieux artifices pour des centaines de milliers de dollars. C'en est presque touchant. On peut suggérer aux autorités culturelles excitées par ces "trouvailles" de consacrer l'argent qu'elles y consacrent à l'apprentissage du syriaque et de la codicologie.

                                                Alain DESREUMAUX
                                                Directeur de recherche au CNRS
                                                Président de la Société d'études syriaques

                                                8, rue Censier
                                                95200 SARCELLES
                                                tél.-fax : ++ 33.(0)1.39.33.32.39