Re: [hugoye-list] "Syrians" and Cyrus

  • David Kiltz
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 2, 2010
      Dear Sergey, dear Steven,

      I think we can all agree that this is a folk-etymology of the less ingenious kind.
      I have never heard this proposition. I'd be interested to know where exactly it was found.
      The textbook cannot be very old, because the 'derivation' is based on the pronunciation shift of Latin (< Greek, < Persian) K > S peculiar to romance languages, most notably French.
      Sergey, if I find more on this, I'll let you know.

      Best,
      David

    • takahashi@ask.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 3, 2010
        Dear all,

        Does anyone on the list have easy access to the French volume of "Dieu
        Miséricorde, Dieu Amour", Actes du VIIIe colloque du patrimoine syriaque,
        Antélias: CERO, 2003?

        Another question: Any suggestions on what to do if one is asked to give
        a talk on "love" in the Syriac tradition?

        Hidemi Takahashi
      • Dr. Erica C.D. Hunter
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 3, 2010
          Dear Takahashi,

          I must pass on the bibliographic reference but there is copious material on
          'love' in the East Syrian mystical writers: John of Dalyatha, Isaac of
          Nineveh, Dadisho of Qatar etc. One of my MA students wrote an excellent
          thesis on the concept of 'hubb' in this tradition and its counterpart in
          Sufism (al-Haqq etc).

          Best wishes

          Erica C D Hunter

          --
          Dr. Erica C.D. Hunter
          The Christian Library from Turfan (AHRC project)

          ecdh1@...
          eh9@...

          ecdh1@...
        • lagus1974
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 3, 2010
            Dear Hidemi,

            You might find these useful -

            Khalifé-Hachem, E., "Homélie métrique de Jacques de Saroug sur l'amour," Parole de l'Orient 1 (1970), 281-299.
            Koonammakkal, T., "Divine Love and Revelation in Ephrem," The Harp 17 (2004), 33-44.
            Murray, R., "St. Ephrem's Dialogue of Reason and Love (= Hymns on the Church, 9)," Sobornost / Eastern Churches Review 2 (1980), 26-40.
            Philip, V., "The Dimensions of Love according to Jacob of Sarug," The Harp 8-9 (1995-1996), 185-194.
            Teule, H.G.B., "L'amour de Dieu dans l'œuvre de Bar `Ebroyo," in: Dieu miséricorde, Dieu amour (Patrimoine Syriaque, Actes du Colloque VIII; Antélias, Liban: Centre d'Études et de Recherches Orientales, 2002), 259-275.

            best
            Sergey Minov
            The Hebrew University of Jerusalem

            --- In hugoye-list@yahoogroups.com, <takahashi@...> wrote:

            > Dear all,
            >
            > Does anyone on the list have easy access to the French volume of "Dieu
            > Miséricorde, Dieu Amour", Actes du VIIIe colloque du patrimoine syriaque,
            > Antélias: CERO, 2003?
            >
            > Another question: Any suggestions on what to do if one is asked to give
            > a talk on "love" in the Syriac tradition?
            >
            > Hidemi Takahashi

          • Dale Johnson
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 3, 2010

              Steven or anyone else on Hugoye,

              I am looking for an e-edition of Mor Marcos of  Mount Tharmata. Alfred Evert Look produced a dissertation at Yale (diss. 1927) which was published in 1929 by J. Johnson at University Press, Oxford. I think it is only 23 pages. Does anyone have a digital edition?  I think I have a Syriac MS that varies slightly from the "Look" edition of which I have only a partial image of the first page. There are Greek and Latin editions and even that would help as I can read those.

              Fosoh Bashlomo
              Quasho Barhanna (Dale A. Johnson)

            • Edward G Mathews Jr
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 3, 2010
                I started collecting mss of this text some time back and
                noticed that there are many that Look did not know of,
                or at least did not use. There is also an unedited Armenian
                (or versions) in a number of manuscripts.

                I apologize but do not presently have access to Look's edition.

                On Mar 3, 2010, at 5:54 PM, Dale Johnson wrote:

                > Steven or anyone else on Hugoye,
                >
                > I am looking for an e-edition of Mor Marcos of Mount Tharmata. Alfred Evert Look produced a dissertation at Yale (diss. 1927) which was published in 1929 by J. Johnson at University Press, Oxford. I think it is only 23 pages. Does anyone have a digital edition? I think I have a Syriac MS that varies slightly from the "Look" edition of which I have only a partial image of the first page. There are Greek and Latin editions and even that would help as I can read those.
                >
                > Fosoh Bashlomo
                > Quasho Barhanna (Dale A. Johnson)

                > Messages in this topic (13)
                > RECENT ACTIVITY:
                > Visit Your Group
                > MARKETPLACE
                > Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

                ****************************

                Edward G. Mathews, Jr.
                Recurring Visiting Professor of Early
                Christian Languages and Literatures
                Director of Research
                St. Nersess Armenian Seminary
                150 Stratton Rd.
                New Rochelle, NY 10804 USA
                914-636-2003
                egmathews@...
              • Dale Johnson
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 4, 2010
                  Thanks Edward,

                  Thanks for the information. I too have noticed references to an Armenian version. When I get farther along in translating the version of the text I have I may have a few more questions for you. For example I am curious about the name "Tharmata" and possible Buddhist connections, especially to a colony outside of Alexandria. Linguistically it could be related to the term "Dharmata" which is a Buddhist term for Ultimate Reality or wisdom. Did Marcos live on the ruins of a former Buddhist colony? I am still looking for an online edition in French or English or Latin of this text. A.E. Look I believe only used three mss. A critical apparatus of all known MSS would push the research.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 4, 2010
                    Dear all,

                    My sincere thanks to all those who responded to my queries on and off
                    list. All very useful and very much appreciated!

                    Hidemi