A question

  • goozoo
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2010
      Dear Colleagues
      In Paul the Persian essay we can find this sentence:"Deest folium saltem unum" in one of footnotes.
      I know:
      folium means: a leaf
      saltem means: at least
      and unum  means: one
      but I can't find "deest"'s infinitive and meaning. Can anyone  write me it's infinitive, tense and meaning?
      All the best,
      Saied

    • Abraham Tal
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2010
        "At least one leaf missing"

        desum, deesse, defui, defuturus  = to be wanting.

        Lewis and Short, p. 561.

        All the best.

        Abraham

        On Jan 1, 2010, at 4:02 PM, goozoo wrote:

        Dear Colleagues
        In Paul the Persian essay we can find this sentence:"Deest folium saltem unum" in one of footnotes.
        I know:
        folium means: a leaf
        saltem means: at least
        and unum  means: one
        but I can't find "deest"'s infinitive and meaning. Can anyone  write me it's infinitive, tense and meaning?
        All the best,
        Saied

      • E. Jan Wilson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2010
          You may find it under "desum, -esse, -fui, -futurus
          "at least one folio is missing"
          Jan

          --
          E. Jan Wilson, D.O., Ph.D.