Bar Hebraeus Chronicon ecclesiasticum V3

  • ephrem i
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2009
      Dear scholars
      Phd friend of mine is looking for Bar Hebraeus Chronicon ecclesiasticum V3 page 276 the seventh line. Unfortunately, it is not available in our libraries in Aleppo-Syria. I looked for it online but only V1 is available at archive.org. She is asking about a name Ali Iben Isaa Alkamal, and she is wondering if the name Sharaf Aldin is written also in this page.
      She appreciates all help can be offered to her.
      With full of respect,
      Ephrem
    • Steven Ring
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2009
        Dear Ephrem,

        A digital facsimile copy of the St Marks Convent, Jerusalem Ms of Bar
        `Ebroyo's Chronography has recently appeared on line courtesy of the
        scholars at the BYU.
        I don't know if the page you're looking for is in this Ms, but it
        includes several appendices written after the death of Bar `Ebroyo which
        might be the part you need. The Ms is dated towards the end of the 15th
        century AD. You can find this Ms listed near the bottom of the following
        page:
        http://cpart.byu.edu/?page=126&sidebar

        There is a description of this Ms in the following catalogue which might
        be the first place to look, see p. 142 ff.:
        William Francis Macomber, 2005. ‘Final inventory of the microfilmed
        manuscripts of the St. Mark's Convent Jerusalem’ BYU, Provo, Utah.
        This Ms catalogue is also available and can be downloaded from the
        following page:
        http://cpart.byu.edu/?page=121&sidebar

        With best regards,
        Steven.

      • takahashi@ask.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2009
          Just to give a quick answer, there is no mention of Ali at vol. 3, p. [
          immo "col."] 276, line 7; but there is a passage at vol. 3, column 275,
          line 15-col. 277, line 13, where we hear of the "Nestorian" physician
          Ali bar Isa (Had men mshammhe da-shmeh 'Ali bar 'Isa osyo myattro), who
          being disaffected by Catholicos Iwannis joined the Melkites (yawnoye).
          Barhebraeus also tells us that he was the author of an ophthalmological
          work called "Tadhkirat al-kaHHaaliin". - I cannot see any mention of the
          name "Sharaf al-Din". - If you want, I can try to send you a scan of the
          relevant pages.

          HT

          > Dear scholars
          > Phd friend of mine is looking for Bar Hebraeus Chronicon
          ecclesiasticum V3 page 276 the seventh line. Unfortunately, it is not
          available in our libraries in Aleppo-Syria. I looked for it online but
          only V1 is available at archive.org. She is asking about a name Ali Iben
          Isaa Alkamal, and she is wondering if the name Sharaf Aldin is written
          also in this page.
          > She appreciates all help can be offered to her.
          > With full of respect,
          > Ephrem

        • ephrem i
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 3, 2009
            Dear scholars,
            thank you so much for all your efforts, and your help is greatly appreciated especially by my friend who got a lot of benefits from your emails.
            Tawdi sagi from Aleppo,
            Ephrem