Syriac written in other scripts

  • Mark Dickens
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 2, 2009
      Hi. I'm looking for examples of Syriac texts (not just individual words) which are written in other (i.e. non-Syriac) scripts, particularly texts used by Christians in the various Syriac traditions whose mother tongue was not Syriac. In other words, the opposite of Garshuni. Any leads or suggestions would be welcomed.

      Thanks,
      Mark Dickens
      --
      Dr. Mark Dickens
      md354@...

      Christian Library of Turfan Project
      Department of the Study of Religions
      School of Oriental and African Studies
      md45@...

      PLEASE REPLY TO CAMBRIDGE EMAIL ADDRESS
    • lagus1974
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 2, 2009
        Dear Mark,

        Take look at these:

        1) Greek written in Syriac -

        Sauget, J.-M., "Vestiges d'une célébration gréco-syriaque de I'Anaphore de Saint Jacques," in: C. Laga, J.A. Munitiz and L. van Rompay (eds.), After Chalcedon: Studies in Theology and Church History Offered to Professor Albert Van Roey for His Seventieth Birthday (Orientalia Lovaniensia Analecta 18; Leuven: Peeters, 1985), 309-345.

        2) Armenian in Syriac -

        Brock, S.P., "Armenian in Syriac Script," in: D. Kouymjian (ed.), Armenian Studies = Études arméniennes: In Memoriam Haïg Berbérian (Lisboa: Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation, 1986), 75-80.
        Margoliouth, D.S., "The Syro-Armenian Dialect," Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society (1898), 839-861.
        van Lantschoot, A., "Un texte arménien en lettres syriaques," in: Mélanges Eugène Tisserant. Vol. 3: Orient chrétien (Deuxière partie) (Studi e Testi 233; Città del Vaticano: Biblioteca Apostolica Vaticana, 1964), 419-428.

        3) Turkish in Syriac

        Hamilton, J., "Le texte turc en caractères syriaques du grand sceau cruciforme de Mar Yahballaha III," Journal asiatique 260 (1972), 155-170.
        Marazzi, U., "Sull'importanza dei testi osmanlï in caratteri siriaci," in: A. Gallotta and U. Marazzi (eds.), Studia Turcologica memoriae Alexii Bombaci dicata (I.U.O, Seminario di studi asiatici: Series minor 19; Napoli: Istituto universitario orientale, 1982), 339-365.
        Pigulevskaya, N.V., "Fragments syriaques et syro-turcs de Hara-Hoto et de Tourfan," Revue de l'Orient chrétien 30 (1935-1936), 3-46.
        Пигулевская, Н.В., "Сирийские и сиро-тюркские фрагменты из Хара-Хото и Турфана," Советское востоковедение 1 (1940), 212-234.
        Proverbio, D.V., "Turco-syriaca. Un caso estremo di sincretismo linguistico e religioso: I libri di Tommaso Sarraf da Edessa (XVIII sec.) nella biblioteca portavita di Tommaso Caldeo da Alqôš," in: Miscellanea Bibliothecae Apostolicae Vaticanae XI (Studi e Testi 423; Città del Vaticano: Biblioteca Apostolica Vaticana, 2004), 583-635.
        Zieme, P., "Zu den nestorianisch-türkischen Turfantexten," in: H. Georg and P. Zieme (eds.), Sprache, Geschichte und Kultur der altaischen Völker. Protokollband der XII. Tagung der Permanent International Altaistic Conference 1969 in Berlin (Schriften zur Geschichte und Kultur des Alten Orients 5; Berlin: Akademie Verlag, 1974), 661-668.

        best
        Sergey Minov
      • Nikolai Seleznyov
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 2, 2009
          Dear Mark,

          There are Syriac liturgical texts, including the Creed, written in Cyrillic
          (Russian) script. They have been produced by the community of the Assyrian
          Church of the East in Moscow ( http://assyrianchurch.ru/ ) to provide those
          having difficulty reading Syriac script with a means to take part in the
          worship.

          Nikolai
          ___________________________

          Nikolai N. Seleznyov, PhD, MTh
          Institute for Oriental and Classical Studies
          Russian State University for the Humanities
          Miusskaya pl., 6 (korp. 1).
          125993, GSP-3, Moscow, Russia
          http://east-west.rsuh.ru/article.html?id=67105

          > Hi. I'm looking for examples of Syriac texts (not just individual words)
          > which are written in other (i.e. non-Syriac) scripts, particularly texts
          > used by Christians in the various Syriac traditions whose mother tongue
          > was not Syriac. In other words, the opposite of Garshuni. Any leads or
          > suggestions would be welcomed.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Mark Dickens
          >

          > --
          > Dr. Mark Dickens
          > md354@...
          >
          > Christian Library of Turfan Project
          > Department of the Study of Religions
          > School of Oriental and African Studies
          > md45@...
          >
          > PLEASE REPLY TO CAMBRIDGE EMAIL ADDRESS

          > http://www.eset.com

        • Andrea Barbara Schmidt
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 2, 2009
            There are some small Armenian Texts wirtten in Syriac writing. S. Brock has written about, and me recently in:
            A. Schmidt, Des langues orientales écrites en caractères arméniens : Arménien et syriaque, dans : C. Mutafian (ed.), Catalogue « Arménie : La magie de l’écrit », Paris - Marseille 2007, p. 345-348.
             I am also working about a ms in the Beinecke LIbrary, containing syriac in Armenian scripts and vice vera.
            AS

            Le 17:56 02.09.2009, vous avez écrit:

            Hi. I'm looking for examples of Syriac texts (not just individual words) which are written in other (i.e. non-Syriac) scripts, particularly texts used by Christians in the various Syriac traditions whose mother tongue was not Syriac. In other words, the opposite of Garshuni. Any leads or suggestions would be welcomed.

            Thanks,
            Mark Dickens

            --
            Dr. Mark Dickens
            md354@...

            Christian Library of Turfan Project
            Department of the Study of Religions
            School of Oriental and African Studies
            md45@...

            PLEASE REPLY TO CAMBRIDGE EMAIL ADDRESS

          • roberthoberman
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 3, 2009
              Father Michael J. Bazzi, of St. Peter Chaldean Catholic Church in El Cajon, California, produced a prayer book, (_The Divine Liturgy according to the Eastern Chaldean Catholic Rite_, 1988, 220 pp.), which contains a lot of Syriac text, including the full Mass, in Arabic script (alongside the Syriac script), as well as some hymns and prayers in English script. The Arabic-script version contains virtually complete vowel diacritics.

              I used Father Bazzi's book as one of the sources of data for an article, "The modern Chaldean pronunciation of Classical Syriac", in _Humanism, Culture, and Language in the Near East: Studies in Honor of Georg Krotkoff_, ed. by Asma Afsaruddin and A. H. Mathias Zahniser, 253-265. Winona Lake, Ind.: Eisenbrauns, 1997.

              Bob

              :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
              Robert Hoberman
              Department of Linguistics
              Stony Brook University
              Stony Brook, NY 11794-4376
            • Joy Thomas Meledath
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 5, 2009
                Dear Mark,

                There are also syriac texts written in Malayalam  script
                ( the language spoken in  Kerala, the Southern State in  India) where large number of syriac christian live

                Thanks
                Joy Thomas

                md354@.... uk

                Christian Library of Turfan Project
                Department of the Study of Religions
                School of Oriental and African Studies
                md45@.... uk

                PLEASE REPLY TO CAMBRIDGE EMAIL ADDRESS

                Want to learn the Salsa? Find nearby dancing schools on Yahoo! India Local
              • Zekai ERDAL
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 15, 2009

                  Dear Members,

                  I need Chronicle of Mar Elie Bar Sinaya. I know " L. J. Delaporte, La Chronograhie de Mar Elie Bar Sinaya, Metropolitain de Nisibe, Bibliotheque de l'Ecol des Hautes Etudes, 1910" but I couldn't find it pdf version. can you help me pls.

                  zekai

                • Linda Wheatley-Irving
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 16, 2009
                    Dear Zekai,
                    Has anyone else contacted you about this yet? A nearby library has this
                    book, but it is very old and fragile. Please tell me which parts of the
                    Chronicle that you need, or what you are looking for in the Chronicle,
                    and maybe I can help you.
                    with best wishes,
                    Linda

                    Zekai ERDAL wrote:

                    > Dear Members,
                    >

                    > I need Chronicle of Mar Elie Bar Sinaya. I know " L. J. Delaporte, La
                    > Chronograhie de Mar Elie Bar Sinaya, Metropolitain de Nisibe,
                    > Bibliotheque de l'Ecol des Hautes Etudes, 1910" but I couldn't find it
                    > pdf version. can you help me pls.
                    >

                    > zekai

                  • Zekai ERDAL
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 17, 2009
                      Dear Linda,

                      You are first person contact to me. thanks for this. I live in Van east of Turkey and I can't find imoprtant books (like this chronicle) in libraries of Van.
                       I found some series of Bibliotheque de l'wcole des hautes etudes on www.archive.org. but not found year 1910.

                      I am art historian and I have been searching history and art history aspecially syrian (nestorian and chaldean monasteries and churches and culter) of Seert, Batman, Mardin, Hakkari Shirnak (/southeast of turkey) I need whole part of chronicle.
                      If you have pdf version of this chronicle could you send me please.

                      thanks
                      zekai