wof nahroyo

  • jean fathi-chelhod
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10, 2001
      Dear all,

      To those of you who have access to syriac manuscript collections in western libraries, may I kindly request your help in finding additional manuscript readings of the epigram Enhu d�Moryo in which Bar Ebroyo refers to his name (please see my paper on the origin of the name Bar Ebroyo in the current issue of Hugoye). I am now in possession of new data pertaining in particular to the localization of the village of Ebro on the Euphrates at about 40 kilometers from Malatya. This information, albeit offering a better understanding of the epigram�s meaning, would request the publication of an addenum, possibly in the next issue. A question which becomes of special interest and which should be included in the addenum (because of a lacuna in the current version), is whether there was a letter waw in the third verse :

      Protoyaw geir haw shumoho [w]of nahroyo

      In the manuscripts and editions that I know of, there are two separate traditions:

      of nahroyo:

      1) ms. Paris Syriaque 270, copied in the XVth century
      2) ms. Florence, Laur. or., 298 copied in 1487/8
      3) Edition of Dulababni

      wof nahroyo:

      1) ms. Paris Syriaque 197, copied in the XVIth century
      2) Edition of Scebabi

      Now even if the mss without the waw are old, I would tend to believe that the waw was dropped by a scribe�s hurry, rather than added (which makes less sense). In order to determine this point, I need more readings of the epigram, and older ones if possible. If some of you per chance can check Bar Ebroyo�s poetry mss when available to them, that would be of greatly appreciated help.

      Although this may seem like a little detail, the existence of a waw [wof = and also] in the verse may stress even more clearly the existence of two distinct meanings of the name Ebroyo, which was the paper�s main argument.

      Jean Fathi-Chelhod

      e-mail from Namezero.com
      New! Namezero Plus domains now available.
      Find out more at: http://www.namezero.com