New Issue of Hugoye: Journal of Syriac Studies (Vol. 4, No. 1, January 2001)

  • George Kiraz
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2001
      Annoucement: New Issue of Hugoye: Journal of Syriac Studies (Vol. 4, No. 1, January 2001)

      Hugoye: Journal of Syriac Studies

      PISCATAWAY, NJ, February 3, 2001 -- The Syriac Computing Institute (http://syrcom.cua.edu) published the January 2001 issue of its academic periodical Hugoye: Journal of Syriac Studies. The issue is free and contains two in memoriam articles, two long papers, three short papers, two book reviews, and a number of conference reports and announcements.

      The two in memoriam articles are on Fr. Yousef Habbi (1938-2000) by George Kiraz, and on Prof. Julius Assfalg (1919-2001) by Hubert Kaufhold.

      The first long paper is in French and discusses the origin of the name of Bar cEbroyo by Jean Chelhod. The second paper is on Simeon of Qalca Rumaita, Patriarch Philoxenus Nemrod, and Bar cEbroyo by Hidemi Takahashi.

      The three short papers discuss exciting new recent discoveries: 1) Papyrus fragments from Deir al-Suryan by Fr. Bigoul El-Souriany and Luk Van Rompay, 2) inscriptions from Takrit by Amir Harrak, and 3) inscriptions from Deir al-Suryan by Luk Van Rompay and Andrea Schmidt.

      Book reviews include a review on Hollerweger's Tur Abdin: Living Cultural Heritage by Edip Aydin, a bibliography of books published in 2000 by Dr. Sebastian Brock, and a review on Falla's A Key to the Peshitta Gospels by Andreas Juckel.

      The issue also contains one conference report, and three announcements.

      The Journal is available free of charge from http://syrcom.cua.edu/Hugoye.

      About Hugoye

      Published semiannually since 1988, Hugoye is the only peer-reviewed academic journal that is dedicated entirely to the Syriac tradition. It is available free of charge at http://syrcom.cua.edu/Hugoye. The journal is a founding member of the Association of Peer-Reviewed Electronic Journals in Religion (http://purl.org/apejr).

    • petersig@ccat.sas.upenn.edu
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 6, 2001
        Thank you for the very helpful information given on my previous query,
        concerning reviews of Weitzman's _Syriac Version of the Old Testament_.

        I am working with the Syriac text of an anonymous memra published in 1895
        in Robert L. Bensly and William E. Barnes, THE FOURTH BOOK OF THE
        MACCABEES AND KINDRED DOCUMENTS IN SYRIAC, First Edited on Manuscript
        Authority. Unlike other memre I've seen, this one rhymes.

        I have been unsuccessful in developing a strategy for searching Syriac
        literature for other examples of poetry (not prose) that rhymes. By
        analogy with the Aramaic occasional poetry of the Middle Ages,
        recently published in critical edition by Sokoloff and Yahalom (1999), I
        would expect to find rhymed poetic pieces in Syriac literature that is
        tied to occasions in the church calendar.

        Is anyone aware of consistently rhyming metrical (of some sort) poetry
        in Syriac? Is anyone able to say with some confidence that no such
        material exists? Either sort of information would be of tremendous
        assistance.

        Thank you in advance.

        Sigrid Peterson
        petersig@...
      • DGK TAYLOR
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 7, 2001
        • edward mccormick schoolman
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 13, 2001
            Dear List,
            I was wondering if anybody knows of any recent work on Isaac of Antioch
            (5th C.), esp. his homilies- Dissertations, articles, anything- I have
            worn out most of the on-line catalogs.
            Thanks,
            Edward
          • DGK TAYLOR
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 14, 2001
              > Dear List,
              > I was wondering if anybody knows of any recent work on Isaac
              of Antioch (5th C.), esp. his homilies- Dissertations, articles,
              anything- I have worn out most of the on-line catalogs. Thanks,
              Edward

              Dear Edward,

              I presume you have checked the bibliographies of Moss and Brock
              up to 1990.

              Using Sebastian's subsequent bibliographies I have the following
              refs.:

              P. Bruns, Isaak III (von Antiochien), RAC 18 (Lief.142; 1998) 931-45.
              G. Greatrex, 'Isaac of Antioch and the sack of Beth Hur', LM 111
              (1998) pp.287-91.
              M. Van Esbroeck, 'The memra of the Parrot by Isaac of Antioch',
              JTS 47 (1996) pp.464-76.
              S. Abouzayd, 'Isaac of Antioch on learning and knowledge', VI
              Symp Syr, pp.215-20.
              R. Aubert, 'Isaac d'Antioche', DHGE 150 (1995).

              Best wishes,

              David

              Dr David G.K.Taylor email: d.g.k.taylor@...
              Department of Theology, tel: 0044-(0)121-414 5666
              University of Birmingham, fax: 0044-(0)121-414 6866
              Birmingham B15 2TT,
              U.K.
            • Edward G. Mathews, Jr.
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 14, 2001
                DGK TAYLOR wrote:

                > > Dear List,
                > > I was wondering if anybody knows of any recent work on Isaac
                > of Antioch (5th C.), esp. his homilies- Dissertations, articles,
                > anything- I have worn out most of the on-line catalogs. Thanks,
                > Edward
                > >

                > Dear Edward,
                >
                > I presume you have checked the bibliographies of Moss and Brock
                > up to 1990.
                >
                > Using Sebastian's subsequent bibliographies I have the following
                > refs.:
                >
                > P. Bruns, Isaak III (von Antiochien), RAC 18 (Lief.142; 1998) 931-45.
                > G. Greatrex, 'Isaac of Antioch and the sack of Beth Hur', LM 111
                > (1998) pp.287-91.
                > M. Van Esbroeck, 'The memra of the Parrot by Isaac of Antioch',
                > JTS 47 (1996) pp.464-76.
                > S. Abouzayd, 'Isaac of Antioch on learning and knowledge', VI
                > Symp Syr, pp.215-20.
                > R. Aubert, 'Isaac d'Antioche', DHGE 150 (1995).

                There are also the relevant sections in Voobus, History of Syrian
                Asceticism III.
                I myself am currently back to work on the monastic memre (there are a dozen

                or so) as I had "announced" over a decade ago in my article:
                On Solitaries: Ephrem or Isaac?" Le Museon 103 (1990) 91-110.
                I have also compiled a nearly complete list of Isaac's works in
                manuscript, many of which have never been edited. I will be glad
                to share notes. As I am sure you are aware, the problem of "how many
                Isaacs lurk under the
                name of Isaac of Antioch" is a thorny one that will require much work.

                Hope this is of some help, and best of luck in your work,

                Ed Mathews