urban monasticism in early Syriac Christianity?

  • Linda Wheatley-Irving
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2009
      Dear All,

      I have been reading Peter Hatlie's new book, "Monks and monasteries in
      Constantinople, ca. 350-850," and realizing that I am not at all sure of
      the extent to which there were urban monasteries in early Syriac
      Christianity. To complicate matters, Prof. Harvey's "Asceticism and
      society in crisis" is checked out at the library. Could people please
      respond with their comments & references? I am especially curious about
      the 4th-6th centuries, but naturally would welcome info on later centuries.

      with best wishes,
      Linda
    • lagus1974
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2009
        Dear Linda,

        The book by Prof. Harvey that you've mentioned is available for free
        on-line -
        http://www.escholarship.org/editions/view?docId=ft3d5nb1n1;query=Harvey;brand=ucpress

        Also, take a look at these -

        Vööbus, A., History of Asceticism in the Syrian Orient: A Contribution
        to the History of Culture in the Near East. 3 vols (CSCO 184, 197,
        500, Subs. 14, 17, 81; Louvain: Secrétariat du CorpusSCO, 1958, 1960,
        1988).

        Segal, J.B., Edessa, `The Blessed City' (Oxford: Clarendon Press,
        1970). esp. pp. 190-191

        All the best,
        Sergey Minov
        The Hebrew University of Jerusalem