Anyone up for some Sogdian?

  • toddgodwinsan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2009
      I am wondering if anyone would like to form a Sogdian study group.
      Sogdian (an eastern Iranian language with a considerable amount of
      extant text) is a useful language for anyone interested in eastern
      Syriac, Manicheans in Sassanian Persia, and the early Medieval Silk
      Route in general. I have found a good textbook available for free
      download and have already worked through a portion of it on my own
      already. If anyone is interested, we cold form a small group and get
      going as soon as people would like. Please contact me directly
      instead of applying to the entire list, if interested.

      Thanks, Todd Godwin (toddgodwin@...)
    • barakatullo
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2009
        Dear Todd Godwin,
        My name is Barakatullo and I am from Tajikistan, Central Asia and
        live at the territory where in the past was known as Sogdiana.
        I am planning to start my PhD next fall in Religiouse studies and am
        interested to study Sogdian Christian Texts found both in Central
        Asia and China. Though at the moment I do not know any Sogdian, but
        would be very happy to study.
        I will be moving to UK next year and am thinking to start course with
        Dr. Nicholas Sims-Williams the distinguished scholar of Sogdian
        language an literature.
        Thanks.
        Barakatullo.

        PS There were problem with sending message directly to your mailbox.

        --- In hugoye-list@yahoogroups.com, "toddgodwinsan" <toddgodwin@...>