questions on Aphraates, Gregory of Nyssa and Ephraem

  • Gabriel S Reynolds
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2007
      Dear Colleagues,

      In an article on Christianity and the Qur'an, the German scholar J.
      Henninger makes two different observations without providing references:

      1. He notes that both Aphraates and Gregory of Nyssa compare Mary the
      mother of Jesus with Miriam the sister of Moses and Aaron (in order to
      explain the Qur'an's apparent fusion of the two figures).

      2. He quotes a prayer of Ephraem: Du and deine Mutter, ihr seid die
      einzigen, die in jeder Hinsicht ganz schn sind; denn an dir, O Herr, ist
      kein Flecken, und an deiner Mutter kein Makel.

      I will be most grateful is anyone is able to send me to the original
      sources for these items.

      Sincerely, Gabriel

      Gabriel Said Reynolds
      Asst. Prof. of Islamic Studies and Theology
      Department of Theology
      University of Notre Dame
    • Jessica Bloom [AIU LDN Dir of Liberal Ar
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 2007

        Dear Gabriel

        The source for the prayer of Ephraem you quoted is, I believe, Op. syr. II 327

        ------------ --------- --------- --------- -----
        Gabriel Said Reynolds
        Asst. Prof. of Islamic Studies and Theology
        Department of Theology
        University of Notre Dame

      • David Freidenreich
        Message 3 of 3 , May 2, 2007
          Gabriel,

          I do not have a reference for the first source, but if true this would
          certainly not be the only instance in which the Qur'an expresses ideas
          found in Aphraates. The one with which I am familiar is their common
          assertion that the extensive dietary laws of the Hebrew Bible constitute
          punishment for the sins of the Israelites (Demonstration 15.2-3, Q.
          6.146-47 etc.).

          All the best,

          David