[hugoye] Email Request

  • George Kiraz
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 1998
      This is the first email on the Hugoye-list. First, I would like to take
      this opportunity to welcome you all on the list. As of today, there are
      54 subscribes to the list. You can post messages by sending emails to:
      hugoye-list@egroups.com or at http://www.egroups.com/list/hugoye-list/
      where you will find more information about the scope of this list and
      its purpose. You can use the list to announce new publications on Syriac
      studies, ask academic questions, start an academic discussion, or post a
      not very interesting question as I shall now :-)

      Does anyone have an email of Dr. Rifaat Ebeid in Australia
      (Riffat.Ebied@... does not seem to work)! Please reply to
      me off-line at: gkiraz@...-labs.com.

      Thanks

      George Kiraz

      --
      \_\_\_\_\_\_\_ George Anton Kiraz, Ph.D.
      \_\_\_ \_\_\_\_ \_ \_ Language Modeling Research
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 1998
        I'll bite, with a practical and non-trivial question.

        Forgive ignorance - I am most familiar with Western vowelling - but in the
        Eastern vowelling tradition, what rules are there about cooccurrence of
        either zlama with rukkakha? [forgive also that I am dashing this off
        without carefully checking the standard Hugoye transcription chart] It has
        been put to me, essentially, that one does NOT allow multiple sub-pointing,
        EXCEPT in those words in which one does! Anyone who can enlighten me as to
        "official" practice will seriously comfort

        Patrick Bennett
      • Dr E.C.D. Hunter
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 4, 1998
          Dear George,

          ebied@...

          Good luck. I hope it works, it did last time I used it before I went to
          Iraq in September. Have just returned.

          Best wishes

          Erica C.D. Hunter

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 13, 1998
            Dear George,
            I've just returned from two weeks in Iran and I am just going through a
            first quick read of my mail.

            In case you haven't got it, the EBIED e-mail I have is:

            rifaat.ebied@...

            More after the jet lag, etc.

            fs

            At 11:04 AM 11/3/98 -0500, you wrote:
            >This is the first email on the Hugoye-list. First, I would like to take
            >this opportunity to welcome you all on the list. As of today, there are
            >54 subscribes to the list. You can post messages by sending emails to:
            >hugoye-list@egroups.com or at http://www.egroups.com/list/hugoye-list/
            >where you will find more information about the scope of this list and
            >its purpose. You can use the list to announce new publications on Syriac
            >studies, ask academic questions, start an academic discussion, or post a
            >not very interesting question as I shall now :-)
            >
            >Does anyone have an email of Dr. Rifaat Ebeid in Australia
            >(Riffat.Ebied@... does not seem to work)! Please reply to
            >me off-line at: gkiraz@...-labs.com.
            >
            >Thanks
            >
            >George Kiraz
            >
            >--
            > \_\_\_\_\_\_\_ George Anton Kiraz, Ph.D.
            >\_\_\_ \_\_\_\_ \_ \_ Language Modeling Research
            > \_ \_ \_ \_ Bell Laboratories
            > \_ \_ \_ \_ Lucent Technologies
            > \_ \_\_\_ \_\_\_\_\_\_\_ \_ \_ Room 2D-446
            > \_ \_ 700 Mountain Ave.
            > \_ \_ Murray Hill, NJ 07974
            > \_ \_ Tel. +1 908 582 4074
            > \_ \_ Fax. +1 908 582 3306
            > \_\_\_ email: gkiraz@...-labs.com

          • James Trimm
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 20, 1998
              All,

              I have been working on my translation of the Syriac-Aramaic of the Peshitta
              version of Galatians for the Semitic New Testament Project and thought I
              would share some observations with the list:

              One of the passages I found very interesting was in Galatians 2:12.

              In this passage the Greek text states that certain men "from James
              (Ya'akov)" misled Peter (Kefa), however the Aramaic text reads more
              clearly. In Hebrew and Aramaic it is not uncommon to have dual
              prepositions. In the Aramaic text we read literally that these men came
              "from toward Ya'akov." This is important because the wording of the Greek
              text misleads us into believing that these men were sent by Ya'akov (James)
              and on Ya'akov's (James') behalf, however the wording of the Aramaic text
              gives no such implication. Instead the Aramaic text indicates only that
              the men were close to Ya'akov.

              Another interesting passage in the Aramaic is Gal. 2:14b where the Greek has:

              ...If you, being a Jew, live after the manner of Gentiles,
              and not as do the Jews, why compell you the Gentiles
              to live as do the Jews?

              But the Aramaic translated literally has:

              ...If you who are Jew live as an Aramean (Syrian)
              and not as a Jew, how do you compell the Goyim (Gentiles)
              to live as Jews?

              In the Aramaic text Kefa was being rebuked by Paul for judgeing others
              because of their race, as 2:13 in the Aramaic says:

              And the rest of the Jews also submitted to this with him [Kefa],
              Thus even Bar Nabba was led to reject [them] by their face.

              reflecting back on Gal. 2:6 which from the Aramaic says:

              ...Eloah (God) does not reject by the faces of the sons of men...

              Thus Paul's point is that Jews, who have Eloah's (God's) Torah should not
              "reject by the faces of the sons of men" as the Arameans (Syrians) do
              (remember the events take place in Antioch, then the capitol of Syria)
              This is in contrast with the Greek which implies that Kefa had been living
              "after the manner of the Gentiles" and perhaps eating unkosher foods with
              them.

              Finally we come to Galatians 2:19 where the Greek reads virtually oposite
              from the Aramaic.
              This is a passage which has been mistranslated by every English translation
              of the Aramaic I have seen. They all seem to have been influenced by the
              Greek. The Greek reads:

              For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.

              Now the Aramaic text (in Aramaic) reads:

              ena geyr b'namosa l'namosa mitet d'l'alaha eche

              Now the literal English of this passage is:

              For I am in the Torah. To the Torah I die that to Eloah (God) I live.

              The odd phrase "to the Torah I die that to Eloah I live" is then explained
              in Gal. 2:20:

              And with the Messiah I was crucified and therefore I do not live
              but Messiah lives in me...

              While the Greek implies Paul was not Torah observant, the Aramaic imples
              that he WAS Torah observant.

              If anyone would like to know more about the Semitic New Testament Project
              just e-mail me privately at:

              jstrimm@...

              Dr. James Trimm
              Semitic New Testament Project