Lost library of Seert

  • Roger Pearse
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 4, 2006
      I believe that Addai Scher, the Chaldean archbishop of Seert, was
      killed by the Turks in 1915, and that something bad happened to the
      archepiscopal library at Seert at the time. But I don't know any more
      about either event, and I would like to. Can someone recommend me
      some sources on this, ideally fairly close to the time. What happened
      to the books listed in his catalogue of mss at Seert?

      All the best,

      Roger Pearse
    • takahashi@ask.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 5, 2006
        Dear Roger,

        I am afraid I am away from my books at the moment and so cannot give you any exact references, but there is at least a brief account of how Mgr. Addai Scher was killed under the entry for Addai Scher in R. Macuch's Geschichte der spaet- und neusyrischen Literatur, Berlin 1976, where references are also given for older literature about him (mostly, I seem to remember, in Arabic).

        There is a report that Addai Scher hid manuscripts in a well in Seert before he died, and attempts have been made to locate this well and the manuscripts, without success. (I have a vague recollection that this matter was discussed on this mailing list some years ago, but I may be wrong).

        What has happened to the majority of the manuscripts is unknown, but some (about 20 of them, I seem to remember) have resurfaced in Paris, and are duly described in Francoise Briquel-Chatonnet's Manuscrits syriaques de la Bibliotheque nationale de France (nos 356-435, entres depuis 1911), de la Bibliotheque Mejanes d’Aix-en-Provence, de la Bibliotheque municipale de Lyon et de la Bibliotheque nationale et universitaire de Strasbourg. Catalogue, Paris, 1997. (I think further literature relevant to the topic is mentioned under the entry for "Siirt" in Alain Desreumaux, Repertoire des bibliotheques et des catalogues de manuscrits syriaques, Paris 1991).

        I'm sorry this is all very vague. If you need, I can try to provide further information when I get back to my books next week.

        Hidemi Takahashi
        University of Tokyo

        --- hugoye-list@yahoogroups.com ---

        >I believe that Addai Scher, the Chaldean archbishop of Seert, was
        >killed by the Turks in 1915, and that something bad happened to the
        >archepiscopal library at Seert at the time. But I don't know any more
        >about either event, and I would like to. Can someone recommend me
        >some sources on this, ideally fairly close to the time. What happened
        >to the books listed in his catalogue of mss at Seert?
        >
        >All the best,
        >
        >Roger Pearse
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Roger Pearse
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 5, 2006
          Dear Hidemi,

          This is really useful - thank you! Of course we're coming up to the
          centenary of Scher's death -- has anyone thought about marking this
          in some way. I'll have to read that article, but would still like
          more, if anyone knows of any. Surely his death must have been
          mentioned in French publications of the period.

          I had just heard that 20 mss from Seert had reappeared, but not
          which ones. Is there any account of how they came to be found
          anywhere?

          I'm sure that I am not alone in being interested in which ones these
          are, but have no access at the moment to that catalogue. Does
          anyone reading this have a copy on hand, and be prepared to
          photocopy the relevant pages and shove them somewhere that we can
          all see them?

          Again, many thanks for all this most useful info.

          Roger Pearse

          --- In hugoye-list@yahoogroups.com, <takahashi@...> wrote:

          > Dear Roger,
          >
          > I am afraid I am away from my books at the moment and so cannot
          give you any exact references, but there is at least a brief account
          of how Mgr. Addai Scher was killed under the entry for Addai Scher
          in R. Macuch's Geschichte der spaet- und neusyrischen Literatur,
          Berlin 1976, where references are also given for older literature
          about him (mostly, I seem to remember, in Arabic).

          > There is a report that Addai Scher hid manuscripts in a well in
          Seert before he died, and attempts have been made to locate this
          well and the manuscripts, without success. (I have a vague
          recollection that this matter was discussed on this mailing list
          some years ago, but I may be wrong).

          > What has happened to the majority of the manuscripts is unknown,
          but some (about 20 of them, I seem to remember) have resurfaced in
          Paris, and are duly described in Francoise Briquel-Chatonnet's
          Manuscrits syriaques de la Bibliotheque nationale de France (nos 356-
          435, entres depuis 1911), de la Bibliotheque Mejanes d¡ÇAix-en-
          Provence, de la Bibliotheque municipale de Lyon et de la
          Bibliotheque nationale et universitaire de Strasbourg. Catalogue,
          Paris, 1997. (I think further literature relevant to the topic is
          mentioned under the entry for "Siirt" in Alain Desreumaux,
          Repertoire des bibliotheques et des catalogues de manuscrits
          syriaques, Paris 1991).

          > I'm sorry this is all very vague. If you need, I can try to
          provide further information when I get back to my books next week.

          > Hidemi Takahashi
          > University of Tokyo
          >
          > --- hugoye-list@yahoogroups.com ---
          >

          > >I believe that Addai Scher, the Chaldean archbishop of Seert, was
          > >killed by the Turks in 1915, and that something bad happened to
          the
          > >archepiscopal library at Seert at the time. But I don't know any
          more
          > >about either event, and I would like to. Can someone recommend
          me
          > >some sources on this, ideally fairly close to the time. What
          happened
          > >to the books listed in his catalogue of mss at Seert?
          > >
          > >All the best,
          > >
          > >Roger Pearse
          > >

          > >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Gregory Kessel
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 5, 2006
            Dear Roger,

            F. Briquel-Chatonnet's "Manuscrits syriaques de la Bibliothèque nationale de France (nos 356-435, entrés depuis 1911)" is available on-line (as well as the catalogue of Zotenberg).
            See

            under "Syriaques".

            Gregory Kessel

          • Roger Pearse
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 5, 2006
              Dear Gregory,

              Many thanks indeed! Isn't that amazing?! Good on the BNF! Indeed
              the BNF's approach to making things available online makes the
              British Library over here look incredibly provincial and backward.
              And it's all downloadable so we can read it offline in a PDF!

              I am speechless. What an amazing bunch of people. I had no idea.

              All the best,

              Roger Pearse

              --- In hugoye-list@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Kessel
              <gregorykessel@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > University of Tokyo
              > >
              > > --- hugoye-list@yahoogroups.com ---
              > >

              > > >I believe that Addai Scher, the Chaldean archbishop of Seert,
              was
              > > >killed by the Turks in 1915, and that something bad happened to
              > the
              > > >archepiscopal library at Seert at the time. But I don't know
              any
              > more
              > > >about either event, and I would like to. Can someone recommend
              > me
              > > >some sources on this, ideally fairly close to the time. What
              > happened
              > > >to the books listed in his catalogue of mss at Seert?
              > > >
              > > >All the best,
              > > >
              > > >Roger Pearse
              > > >

              > > >Yahoo! Groups Links

              > ---------------------------------
              > Yahoo! Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs.Try it free.

            • Matay
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 6, 2006
                Shlomo,

                Dr Jan Sanders, an authority on assyrians of east
                Turkey, has also useful information in his latest
                publication about the remapping of the assyrian
                christian lands in east turkey and iran.

                Shlome,

                Matay Arsan, M.D.
                Netherlands

                --- Roger Pearse <roger_pearse@...>
                wrote:

> [...]
                > >
                > > I'm sorry this is all very vague. If you
                > need, I can try to
                > provide further information when I get back to
                > my books next week.
                > >
                > > Hidemi Takahashi
                > > University of Tokyo
                > >
                > > --- hugoye-list@yahoogroups.com ---
                > >

                > > >I believe that Addai Scher, the Chaldean
                > archbishop of Seert, was
                > > >killed by the Turks in 1915, and that
                > something bad happened to
                > the
                > > >archepiscopal library at Seert at the time.
                > But I don't know any
                > more
                > > >about either event, and I would like to.
                > Can someone recommend
                > me
                > > >some sources on this, ideally fairly close
                > to the time. What
                > happened
                > > >to the books listed in his catalogue of mss

                Next Year In Nineveh - Shato h'reto b Ninwe

              • Edward G. Mathews, Jr.
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 9, 2006
                  Books for sale I have one copy each of vol. 3 and vol. 6 from
                  the Georg Olms reprint of Paulus Bedjan,
                  Acta Martyrum et Sanctorum Syriace.
                  Each vol is essentially brand new and unread,
                  in excellent condition.
                  Currently, the publisher price is 698 Euros
                  for the seven volume set (±900 US), plus S&H.
                  I am offering these two volumes for $100. ea,
                  which includes all postage costs, if anyone
                  would like them.  I must, of course, offer them
                  on a "first come, first served" basis.

                  If anyone is interested, I also have a number of
                  CSCO volumes (mostly texts, but a few translations),
                  and PO volumes in xerox.  I would be willing to
                  sell them for $10-$20 US (also includes postage)
                  depending on the size of the volume.
                  Specific inquiries can be made, or I can provide
                  interested parties with a list of what I have available.

                  In order not to clutter up the list, responses
                  should perhaps be made to me directly:

                         emathews@...

                  **************************************

                       Dr. Edward G. Mathews, Jr.
                       Independent Scholar
                       217 Wellwood Dr.
                       Tunkhannock, PA  18657   USA

                • Edward G. Mathews, Jr.
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 9, 2006
                    geographical question Does anyone happen to have a fairly accurate
                    estimate of the total distance from Nisibis to Amid
                    to Edessa?
                    Judging from the maps I have available, it looks
                    to be about 140 miles, but if anyone can be more
                    precise, I would greatly appreciate it.
                    Many thanks, in advance,

                    Ed Mathews

                    **************************************

                         Dr. Edward G. Mathews, Jr.
                         Independent Scholar
                         217 Wellwood Dr.
                         Tunkhannock, PA  18657   USA
                  • Gareth Hughes
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 9, 2006
                      My modern Turkish maps show the distance from Şanlıurfa (Edessa) to
                      Diyarbakır (Amida) is 190 km. No figure is given for Nusaybin
                      (Nisibis) and Diyarbakır, but it looks like 150 km.

                      Gareth Hughes.

                      On 09/08/06, Edward G. Mathews, Jr. <emathews@...> wrote:

                      > Does anyone happen to have a fairly accurate
                      > estimate of the total distance from Nisibis to Amid
                      > to Edessa?
                      > Judging from the maps I have available, it looks
                      > to be about 140 miles, but if anyone can be more
                      > precise, I would greatly appreciate it.
                      > Many thanks, in advance,
                      >
                      > Ed Mathews
                      >

                      > **************************************
                      >
                      > Dr. Edward G. Mathews, Jr.
                      > Independent Scholar
                      > 217 Wellwood Dr.
                      > Tunkhannock, PA 18657 USA
                    • Loopstra, Jonathan A. 53LOOPSTRA
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 9, 2006
                        The distance calculator at http://www.adiyamanli.org/MapofTurkey/distance/mesafe.html records the distance between Sanliurfa and Diyarbakir as 181 km. Nusaybin is not given, but it would be possible to estimate the distance using nearby towns as reference points. My best.

                        Jonathan

                        ________________________________

                        My modern Turkish maps show the distance from (Edessa) to
                        Diyarbakir (Amida) is 190 km. No figure is given for Nusaybin
                        (Nisibis) and Diyarbakir, but it looks like 150 km.

                        Gareth Hughes.

                        On 09/08/06, Edward G. Mathews, Jr. <emathews@...> wrote:

                        > Does anyone happen to have a fairly accurate
                        > estimate of the total distance from Nisibis to Amid
                        > to Edessa?
                        > Judging from the maps I have available, it looks
                        > to be about 140 miles, but if anyone can be more
                        > precise, I would greatly appreciate it.
                        > Many thanks, in advance,
                        >
                        > Ed Mathews
                        >

                        > **************************************
                        >
                        > Dr. Edward G. Mathews, Jr.
                        > Independent Scholar
                        > 217 Wellwood Dr.
                        > Tunkhannock, PA 18657 USA

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • Adam H. Becker
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 11, 2006
                          Regarding the library of Siirt, the Turkish
                          translation of the Chronicle of Siirt (Siirt
                          Vakayinamesi, translated by Celal Kabadayi)
                          includes extracts from an interview with a
                          witness to the destruction of much of the library
                          in 1915 (as well as a hand drawn portrait of
                          Scher apparently based on some prior image of him).

                          Adam

                        • Roger Pearse
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
                            That is really interesting, although since I know no Turkish, I'm
                            not sure how best to use that info. I see that the book is
                            available for purchase online at tulumba.com for $25. OCLC says
                            that almost no-one has a copy.

                            Does anyone have a copy of the relevant pages?

                            All the best,

                            Roger Pearse

                            --- In hugoye-list@yahoogroups.com, "Adam H. Becker" <ahb3699@...>
                            wrote:

> [...]
                            > > > mentioned under the entry for "Siirt" in Alain
                            > > > Desreumaux,
                            > > > Repertoire des bibliotheques et des catalogues
                            > > > de manuscrits
                            > > > syriaques, Paris 1991).

                            > > > need, I can try to
                            > > > provide further information when I get back to
                            > > > my books next week.

                            > > > archbishop of Seert, was
                            > > > something bad happened to
                            > > > the
                            > > > But I don't know any
                            > > > more
                            > > > Can someone recommend
                            > > > me
                            > > > to the time. What
                            > > > happened
                            > > > at Seert?

                            > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            > >Next Year In Nineveh - Shato h'reto b Ninwe
                            > >

                            > >___________________________________________________________
                            > >Copy addresses and emails from any email account

                          • Adam H. Becker
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
                              Attached to this you will find the relevant pages.

                              Adam

                            • Kevin Robinson
                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 4, 2006
                                Louis Hemmings buys and sells theological books in Ireland and
                                distributes his current electronic mailing list to various
                                ecclesiastical groups.

                                On a list this week he writes:

                                "A few days ago I was offered a nice group of Ancient Oriental Language
                                books in Aramaic, Syriac, Samaritan, Assyrian etc. If any of you would
                                like a list please let me know, or indeed, any subject area lists. It's
                                very easy for me to do".

                                He is available at louis@...

                                I forward this note to members of the Hugoye group as he may have items
                                of interest.

                                Fr Kevin Robinson