[hugoye-l] Liturgy - authorship of a prayer

  • Jean Valentin
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 1969
      I know hardly anything about liturgy as my little speciality is NT textual criticism, but sometimes I read liturgical texts and am fascinated by their beauty. Hence this question.

      In the Western Syriac liturgy, there is a beautiful prayer that is sung during the lightning of the candles at the beginning of the celebration. I would like to know if it is possible to identify the author of that prayer. It goes like this:

      In your light we see light, O Jesus full of light,
      For you are the true light that enlightens the whole creation.
      Enlighten us by your glorious light, O Radiance of the heavenly Father.
      O Pious and Holy, who dwells in the habitations of light,
      Keep away from us the evil passions and hateful thoughts,
      And grant us that with purity of heart, we may do the works of righteousness.

      Does anybody on the list have information about the author of that text, and more generally about sources/studies that try to identify the origin of such liturgical pieces?

      Thank you in advance for your help,

      Jean V.

      Dites-le avec des mots. Ca coƻte moins cher.
      Jean Valentin - 34 rue du Berceau - 1000 Bruxelles - Belgique
      e-mail : jean.valentin@... / skavoovee@...