Re: [hugoye-list] The Bible in the Syriac Tradition

  • Peter Farrington
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 1, 2005
      Re: [hugoye-list] The Bible in the Syriac Tradition
      I received this information when I emailed them yesterday:

      You can place  your order directly on us  by e-mail. Specify despatch instructions viz. by airmail or seamail. You can make payment to our agency in UK  (whose address is given below), either by cash, cheque or mail transfer.

      E. Kornhardt,
      Academic Bookseller,
      42 Hill View Road,
      Oxford  OX2   OBZ
      England.

      Telephone (01865)246363.

      Please give your mailing address. Thanking you,

      Yours sincerely,
      Sales Manager,
      SEERI, Kottayam.
      I am sorry, seeri@...  is the only
      address I have AND it has worked for me
      even recently, so I do not know what the
      problem could be.
      I will forward, in a separate note, the relevant portions
      of the SEERI Conference announcement which
      George Kiraz recently sent out.  Perhaps
      you could try the direct link there?
      Apologies if this too does not work.
      Best of luck,
    • Roger Pearse
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 4, 2005
        Many thanks indeed. I will try this out.

        Perhaps someone at SEERI could look at creating a website and use
        Paypal to take payments? Any schoolboy could do this, and India --
        particularly Christian India -- swarms with technoliterate people.

        All the best,

        Roger Pearse

        --- In hugoye-list@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Farrington"
        <peterfarrington@b...> wrote:

        > Re: [hugoye-list] The Bible in the Syriac TraditionI received this
        information when I emailed them yesterday:

        > You can place your order directly on us by e-mail. Specify
        despatch instructions viz. by airmail or seamail. You can make
        payment to our agency in UK (whose address is given below), either
        by cash, cheque or mail transfer.

        > E. Kornhardt,
        > Academic Bookseller,
        > 42 Hill View Road,
        > Oxford OX2 OBZ
        > England.
        >
        > Telephone (01865)246363.
        >
        > Please give your mailing address. Thanking you,
        >

        > Yours sincerely,
        > Sales Manager,
        > SEERI, Kottayam.
        > I am sorry, seeri@s... is the only
        > address I have AND it has worked for me
        > even recently, so I do not know what the
        > problem could be.
        > I will forward, in a separate note, the relevant portions
        > of the SEERI Conference announcement which
        > George Kiraz recently sent out. Perhaps
        > you could try the direct link there?
        > Apologies if this too does not work.
        > Best of luck,

      • Stephen Shoemaker
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 4, 2005

          In case anyone is interested, a year or two ago I ordered a number of SEERI publications from Merging Currents (http://www.mergingcurrents.com), an online Indian bookseller that specializes in books on Christianity in India.  They carry a number of the SEERI titles at quite reasonable prices, and I found them to be very reliable and user friendly.  Below is a list of the SEERI titles from the Moran 'Eth'o series links for each (I just pulled it off of their website).

          Unfortunately, this does not include The Bible in Syriac Tradition, which as I understand it is part of a different series.  If I’m correct it is a part of the institute’s correspondence course for students.  Perhaps it might be worth contacting this bookseller about the possibility of ordering it through them?  If someone does so with any success, please let the list know.

          Stephen

          Stephen J. Shoemaker

          Assistant Professor, Dept. of Religious Studies

          University of Oregon, Eugene OR  97403-1294

          (541) 346-4998; FAX: (541) 346-4118

          www.uoregon.edu/~sshoemak/

          St. Ephrem Ecumenical Research Institute

          A Brief Outline of Syriac Literature
          by Brock, Sebastian P.
          Syriac Christianity in the East
          by Hage, Wolfgang
          The Book of Judith, Daughter of Merari: Syriac Text with Translation and Footnotes
          by (trans) Van Der Ploeg, J. P. M.
          Burial Service for Nuns: Syriac Text with Translation
          by (trans) Brock, Sebastian P.
          St. Ephraem the Syrian and St. Gregory the Theologian Confront the Arians
          by Russell, Paul S.
          Bride of Light: Hymns on Mary from the Syriac Churches
          by (trans) Brock, Sebastian P.
          Syriac Writers on Muslims and the Religious Challenge of Islam
          by Griffith, Sidney H.
          The Exodus Commentary of St. Ephrem
          by (trans) Salvesen, Alison
          Dionysius Bar Salibi: Commentary on the Eucharist
          by (trans) Verghese, Baby
          The Gospel of St. Mathew
          by (trans) Kaniamparampil, Curian
          John of Dara: Commentary on the Eucharist
          by (trans) Varghese, Baby
          The Ritual of the Clothing of Monks
          by Acharya, Francis
          Syriac in Six Months
          by Kaniamparampil, Curian
          Mar Babai the Great: Some Useful Counsels on the Ascetical Life
          by (trans) Chediath, Geevarghese

          <peterfarrington@b...> wrote:

          > Re: [hugoye-list] The Bible in the Syriac TraditionI received this

          information when I emailed them yesterday:

          > You can place  your order directly on us  by e-mail. Specify

          despatch instructions viz. by airmail or seamail. You can make

          payment to our agency in UK  (whose address is given below), either

          by cash, cheque or mail transfer.

          > E. Kornhardt,

          > Academic Bookseller,

          > 42 Hill View Road,

          > Oxford  OX2   OBZ

          > England.

          > Telephone (01865)246363.

          > Please give your mailing address. Thanking you,

          > Yours sincerely,

          > Sales Manager,

          > SEERI, Kottayam.

          >   I am sorry, seeri@s...  is the only

          >   address I have AND it has worked for me

          >   even recently, so I do not know what the

          >   problem could be.

          >   I will forward, in a separate note, the relevant portions

          >   of the SEERI Conference announcement which

          >   George Kiraz recently sent out.  Perhaps

          >   you could try the direct link there?

          >   Apologies if this too does not work.

          >   Best of luck,

          Yahoo! Groups Links

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Roger Pearse
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 5, 2005
            I also got a copy of a Moran Etho volume from them, without
            difficulty. Curiously it arrived in a package where one end was
            open, and held closed by a ribbon, presumably so that Indian customs
            could open it with more ease. But arrive it did. However their
            list is not complete, and their volumes are advertised as second-
            hand.

            I have received a catalogue from SEERI after emailing for one last
            night.

            All the best,

            Roger Pearse

            --- In hugoye-list@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Shoemaker"
            <sshoemak@d...> wrote:

            > In case anyone is interested, a year or two ago I ordered a number
            of SEERI
            > publications from Merging Currents (http://www.mergingcurrents.com
            > <http://www.mergingcurrents.com/> ), an online Indian bookseller
            that
            > specializes in books on Christianity in India. They carry a
            number of the
            > SEERI titles at quite reasonable prices, and I found them to be
            very
            > reliable and user friendly. Below is a list of the SEERI titles
            from the
            > Moran 'Eth'o series links for each (I just pulled it off of their
            website).

            > Unfortunately, this does not include The Bible in Syriac
            Tradition, which as
            > I understand it is part of a different series. If I'm correct it
            is a part
            > of the institute's correspondence course for students. Perhaps it
            might be
            > worth contacting this bookseller about the possibility of ordering
            it
            > through them? If someone does so with any success, please let the
            list
            > know.
            >

            > Stephen
            >

            > Stephen J. Shoemaker
            >
            > Assistant Professor, Dept. of Religious Studies
            >
            > University of Oregon, Eugene OR 97403-1294
            >
            > (541) 346-4998; FAX: (541) 346-4118
            >
            > www.uoregon.edu/~sshoemak/
            >

            > St. Ephrem Ecumenical Research Institute
            >

            > A Brief Outline <http://www.mergingcurrents.com/book.php?
            BookSKU=2815> of
            > Syriac Literature by Brock, Sebastian P.
            > Syriac <http://www.mergingcurrents.com/book.php?BookSKU=2915>
            Christianity
            > in the East by Hage, Wolfgang
            > The Book of <http://www.mergingcurrents.com/book.php?
            BookSKU=2916> Judith,
            > Daughter of Merari: Syriac Text with Translation and Footnotes by
            (trans)
            > Van Der Ploeg, J. P. M.
            > Burial Service <http://www.mergingcurrents.com/book.php?
            BookSKU=2917> for
            > Nuns: Syriac Text with Translation by (trans) Brock, Sebastian P.
            > St. Ephraem the <http://www.mergingcurrents.com/book.php?
            BookSKU=2918>
            > Syrian and St. Gregory the Theologian Confront the Arians by
            Russell, Paul
            > S.
            > Bride of Light: <http://www.mergingcurrents.com/book.php?
            BookSKU=2919>
            > Hymns on Mary from the Syriac Churches by (trans) Brock, Sebastian
            P.
            > Syriac Writers <http://www.mergingcurrents.com/book.php?
            BookSKU=2920> on
            > Muslims and the Religious Challenge of Islam by Griffith, Sidney H.
            > The Exodus <http://www.mergingcurrents.com/book.php?BookSKU=2921>
            > Commentary of St. Ephrem by (trans) Salvesen, Alison
            > Dionysius Bar Salibi: <http://www.mergingcurrents.com/book.php?
            BookSKU=2922>
            > Commentary on the Eucharist by (trans) Verghese, Baby
            > The Gospel of <http://www.mergingcurrents.com/book.php?
            BookSKU=2923> St.
            > Mathew by (trans) Kaniamparampil, Curian
            > John of Dara: <http://www.mergingcurrents.com/book.php?
            BookSKU=2924>
            > Commentary on the Eucharist by (trans) Varghese, Baby
            > The Ritual of <http://www.mergingcurrents.com/book.php?
            BookSKU=2925> the
            > Clothing of Monks by Acharya, Francis
            > Syriac in Six <http://www.mergingcurrents.com/book.php?