[hugoye-l] camel or rope?

  • Hansss@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 1999
      Can anyone cite a source other than Lamsa stating that the Aramaic word for
      camel is the same as that for rope?

      ------------------
      Hans-Michael
      http://members.aol.com/hansss/home.html
    • James Trimm
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 1999
        The Semitic Origin of the New Testament by James Trimm; 1996; p. 51
        Published by: Hebrew/Aramaic NT Research Inst. Box 471; Hurst, TX 76053
        http://www.nazarene.net/hantri

        The New Covenant Peshitta Aramaic Text with a Hebrew Translation;
        The Bible Society; Jerusalem; 1986; p. 356

        Teach Yourself Aramaic
        Dr. Mar Aprem
        Mar Narsai Press Trichur, Kerala, India; 1981; p. 95

        James Trimm

        >Can anyone cite a source other than Lamsa stating that the Aramaic word for
        >camel is the same as that for rope?
        >
        >------------------
        >Hans-Michael
        >http://members.aol.com/hansss/home.html

        >-----
        >Syriac Computing Institute [http://syrcom.cua.edu]
        >Hugoye Journal [http://syrcom.cua.edu/Hugoye]
      • George Kiraz
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 1999
          Hans-Michael write:

          > >Can anyone cite a source other than Lamsa stating that the Aramaic word
          for
          > >camel is the same as that for rope?
          > >
          > >Hans-Michael

          I remember that I was told once that this is mentioned in one of Moshe bar
          Kepha's exegetical works. I am afraid my memory is vague and I have no
          reference.

          The references mentioned by Trimm below could possibly be based on Lamsa.

          George Kiraz

          From: James Trimm <jstrimm@...>
          > The Semitic Origin of the New Testament by James Trimm; 1996; p. 51
          > Published by: Hebrew/Aramaic NT Research Inst. Box 471; Hurst, TX 76053
          > http://www.nazarene.net/hantri
          >
          > The New Covenant Peshitta Aramaic Text with a Hebrew Translation;
          > The Bible Society; Jerusalem; 1986; p. 356
          >
          > Teach Yourself Aramaic
          > Dr. Mar Aprem
          > Mar Narsai Press Trichur, Kerala, India; 1981; p. 95
          >
          > James Trimm

          ----------
          George Anton Kiraz, Ph.D.
          Language Modeling Research