6492Re: [hugoye-list] official Syriac transcription and OT Peshitta versions

  • Mark Dickens
    Jul 1, 2014
      Charis,

      A good source for the Peshitta NT is the excellent dukhrana website, but it does not include the OT:

      http://dukhrana.com/peshitta/index.php

      Peshitta.org also only has the NT. Perhaps the reason for the lack of the OT text online is that nobody has taken the time to enter the text into a database? At least with the NT, we can all benefit from the work that George Kiraz put into the Syriac Electronic Data Retrieval Archive (SEDRA), which is what the dukhrana website uses.

      In the meantime, it looks like the only options for the OT text in a digital version are whatever you can find at archive.org in PDF version (most of which is cross-referenced with openlibrary.org). But even there you can't search any of those PDFs like you can search text on dukhrana.

      BTW, regarding what Andrew said about diacritics, Times New Roman (at least the Windows version) now has all the letters with dots over or under that you could ever wish, so it is dead easy (using Insert Symbol) to get ḥ Ḥ ṣ Ṣ ṭ Ṭ.

      Best regards,
      Mark Dickens

      On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 2:40 AM, Charis Vleugels charisvleugels@... [hugoye-list] <hugoye-list@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Dear all,

      Could anyone advise me on the/an official Syriac transcription for publications (SP)?

      And which OT Peshitta versions should be checked for textcritical accuracy - and where?
      Until now, I found the estrangela text provided by CAL online, and the East Syriac version published in London (1823), provided online at openlibrary.org.
      I would also be most grateful for any insights on the dating of the various versions.
      For my former professor in Hebrew, this information would help in his article on 1 Sam. 13:1. For me it would be most helpful for my study on the Psalms and their occurrence in Ephrem the Syrians writings.

      Thank you!

      Charis Vandereyken-Vleugels
      Leuven

      --
      Mark Dickens, MPhil, PhD (Cantab)
      dickens@...

      Visiting Researcher & Sessional Lecturer
      Religious Studies Program
      Office of Interdisciplinary Studies
      400 Arts & Convocation Hall
      University of Alberta