6460Re: [hugoye-list] "Head of a church"

  • Mark Dickens
    Jun 6, 2014
      Thanks Andrew,

      I'll check that out in your book!

      Mark

      On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 3:53 AM, Andrew Palmer MerandRewpal@... [hugoye-list] <hugoye-list@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Dear Mark,
      the term you are interested in lies behind the English term 'rector' in my Monk and mason on the Tigris frontier: The early history of Tur 'Abdin, Cambridge Oriental Publications 39, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1990, pp. 220f., referring to Nos. 95-116 in Henri Pognon, Inscriptions sémitiques de la Syrie, de la Mésopotamie et de la région de Mossoul, Paris, 1907. In Pognon 96  (= A.5 in my 'A corpus of inscriptions from Tur 'Abdin amd environs', Oriens Christianus 71, 1987, 53-139, at p. 64, the last three letters are left off the Syriac term for rector. My opinion is that the rector was the senior member of a college of three or four priests at the village of Heshterek in Tur 'Abdin during the tenth to the twelfth centuries. I have not pursued the question any further, but should like to know what you come up with.
      Best wishes,
      Andrew.

      Dr A. N. Palmer
      Bruininkhuizen 28
      4875 AG Etten-Leur

      On Sunday, 1 June 2014, 8:19, "Mark Dickens dickens@... [hugoye-list]" <hugoye-list@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hi. Can anyone point me to literature that discusses the Syriac term ܪܝܫܥܝܕܬܐ "head of a church"? I'm unsure how this position fits into the standard ecclesiastical hierarchy.

      Thanks,
      Mark

      --
      Mark Dickens, MPhil, PhD (Cantab)
      dickens@...

      Visiting Researcher & Sessional Lecturer
      Religious Studies Program
      Office of Interdisciplinary Studies
      400 Arts & Convocation Hall
      University of Alberta
      Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2R3
      Canada

      --
      Mark Dickens, MPhil, PhD (Cantab)
      dickens@...
      http://ualberta.academia.edu/MarkDickens

      Visiting Researcher & Sessional Lecturer
      Religious Studies Program
      Office of Interdisciplinary Studies
      400 Arts & Convocation Hall
      University of Alberta