6362Fwd: Back to Sassanian Polemics

  • Sigrid Peterson
    May 1, 2014

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Sigrid Peterson <petersig@...>
      Date: Thu, May 1, 2014 at 4:46 PM
      Subject: Back to Sassanian Polemics
      ​T​
      o: "hugoye-list@yahoogroups.com" <hugoye-list@yahoogroups.com>,
      ​ "
      Annette Yoshiko Reed
      ​" ​
      <reedanne@...>

      I am preparing Sixth and Seventh Maccabees for inclusion in the Second Volume of Old Testament Pseudepigrapha: More Noncanonical Scriptures. The editors are Richard Bauckham and James R. Davila of the University of St. Andrews, Scotland. The first volume is available at slightly under US $60.

      I think Seventh Maccabees is relevant to the original question about the Sassanid period 224-651 CE, and polemic against the Sassanids. The best prepared of the two pieces is Sixth Maccabees. Maybe you would consider the story of a the mother and seven sons already known from 2 Maccabees and 4 Maccabees, to be polemic against a cruel ruler, as the Sassanids were at times, though not throughout the period. Dating 6 Maccabees is difficult as it is a clear composite of material of various dates. The evil ruler is Antiochus Epiphanes, not a Persian Sassanid. Of course a stand-in for Persian rulers -- I would like to put parts of the poem in the third to fourth centuries, and other parts are clearly later. I can't seem to get it published that way, only as full text from the late sixth to seventh centuries.

      [If you have more references on specific dates of Sassanid persecution of Jews or Christians or other minority groups, that would be helpful to me.

      Seventh Maccabees is a text that doesn't seem to know whether it is Jewish or Christian -- probably revised with some Christian references, from a Jewish text about the Maccabean martyrs.

      In Seventh Maccabees which is available in a rough translation, with notes, has come few lines that are more clearly anti Sassanian polemic
      ​, with specific mentions of Persians. I'd be glad to review the two and tell you more if you are interested.

      The Syriac originals of both Sixth and Seventh Maccabees, under two anonymous designations, with less clear translations (as to polemic intent) are found in THE FOURTH BOOK OF MACCABEES AND KINDRED DOCUMENTS, an 1895 book edited by William E Barnes and Robert L. Bensly, from original manuscripts in Syriac, published by Cambridge UP, now available in reprint from Cambridge.

      We could continue in Hugoye-l or off line, as you wish.

      ​All the best,
      ​Sigrid Peterson

      Sigrid Peterson, PhD
      Visiting Scholar