6343Re: [hugoye-list] Nestorian title "iffeliq"

  • Aaron Michael Butts
    Apr 18 7:48 AM
      I just want to add that a sound change of *th > is not uncommon cross-linguistically. It is in fact even attested in Arabic ( Barth 1887 : 634 n. 3 ; Wright 1890 : 66; Brockelmann 1908: 130-131; Cantineau 1960: 29, 41-42, 45; Fleisch 1961: 75). Compare for, instance, Classical Arabic thuum 'garlic' and the by-form fuum. Thus, it is not too difficult to see how an Arabic th could be misheard by Riccoldo da Montecroce (or anyone else for that matter) as f. Thus, it is fairly straightforward to explain how Arabic jithliq (or the like) 'Catholicos' became iffelic.

      Best,

      Aaron
      ----
      Dr. Aaron M. Butts
      Senior Lector in Semitics
      Near Eastern Languages & Civilizations
      Yale University
      On 4/17/2014 7:41 PM, Hidemi Takahashi wrote:

      Perhaps a corruption of Arabic jathaliq, "catholicos"?

      HT