Re: Hop News from Northern Brewer FYI

  • Gloria
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2007
      Thanks, Al for sharing this. The last few weeks, every time I order
      hops I find that the price I pay for them is what I was charging
      retail or more. Hop prices have risen out of sight and because of the
      shortage, I can't order more than 1 pound of each variety at a time.
      Not sure how this is going to affect my homebrewers, only time will
      tell. I keep looking for ways of getting hops somewhat reasonably for
      all of you. We have not even touched on the grain crisis. Grain
      prices have already jumped and I can only hope the prices will stay
      where they are for a while. Some of my homebrewers have stated they are
      not going to brew any more because of the rising prices. They feel it
      is cheaper to buy beer. Wait till all the commercial brewers raise
      their prices to cover the increase in cost of supplies. Just remember
      that we are all in this together.
    • jtaylor54
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2007
        Yeah it's just the tip of the iceberg though. With oil almost $100 per
        gallon that has yet to filter down in the cost of running the farm
        equipment, transporting materials and finished products and running
        the brewery equipment and associated energy costs. But don't worry I
        don't expect the price of BudMilloors to change much unless we have a
        water shortage. It's the 'good' beers that will really see the big
        price increases.

        I'm afraid that for some folks the real answer will be that they can't
        afford beer anymore no matter who makes it.

        There are a lot of folks who brew because it's a fun and rewarding
        hobby and like to create things you can't buy. For them maybe they
        just can't make as much.

        If you look at some of the shelf prices of the Extreme beers around
        now where many are $10 a bottle and up, homebrewing those styles will
        always be vastly cheaper no matter what. I'm sorry but at $10 or more
        a quart (or less) making 20 quarts of a similar brew for less that
        $100 is still half price.

        Of course if you grow your own hops and grain then .. nevermind ;-)

        JT
      • Dave Johnson
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2007
          I've been looking for something to do with my 20 acres. Hmmmmmmm.
          Too bad the soil here is all clay. Maybe I'll try ammending the soil
          next year and keep my old buddies in hops. The beer shouldn't suffer.
          That would be a crime.

          --- In hudsonvalleyhomebrewers@yahoogroups.com, "jtaylor54"
          <homebrew@...> wrote:

          > Yeah it's just the tip of the iceberg though. With oil almost $100 per
          > gallon that has yet to filter down in the cost of running the farm
          > equipment, transporting materials and finished products and running
          > the brewery equipment and associated energy costs. But don't worry I
          > don't expect the price of BudMilloors to change much unless we have a
          > water shortage. It's the 'good' beers that will really see the big
          > price increases.
          >
          > I'm afraid that for some folks the real answer will be that they can't
          > afford beer anymore no matter who makes it.
          >
          > There are a lot of folks who brew because it's a fun and rewarding
          > hobby and like to create things you can't buy. For them maybe they
          > just can't make as much.
          >
          > If you look at some of the shelf prices of the Extreme beers around
          > now where many are $10 a bottle and up, homebrewing those styles will
          > always be vastly cheaper no matter what. I'm sorry but at $10 or more
          > a quart (or less) making 20 quarts of a similar brew for less that
          > $100 is still half price.
          >
          > Of course if you grow your own hops and grain then .. nevermind ;-)
          >
          > JT

        • Phil
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 2007
            > Of course if you grow your own hops and grain then
            > .. nevermind ;-)

            Carl Sagan once said , if you want to make an apple
            pie from scratch, you start by creating a universe.

            Phil

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • jtaylor54
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 2, 2007
              > > Carl Sagan once said , if you want to make an apple
              > > pie from scratch, you start by creating a universe.

              I thought Martha Stewart said that?

              JT

              --- In hudsonvalleyhomebrewers@yahoogroups.com, Phil <dogglebe@...>
              wrote:

              > > Of course if you grow your own hops and grain then
              > > .. nevermind ;-)
              > >

              > Carl Sagan once said , if you want to make an apple
              > pie from scratch, you start by creating a universe.
              >

              > Phil

              > http://mail.yahoo.com

            • Francis Flynn
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 2, 2007
                Martha said, you start by lying to the authorities.......