2012 NYS Competition Schedule

  • daveysprocketbrew
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 4, 2012
      Does anyone have any info on upcoming competitions? I can't seem to find any dates online.
    • Charlie Haight
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 4, 2012
        You can always check the American Homebrewers website
        http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/competitions/aha-bjcp-sanctioned-competition/calendar
        . Homebrew Alley is coming up end of January.
      • Francis Flynn
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 4, 2012
          Sprocket.....sprocket.....sprocket.  Look at the bjcp competition sched. Homebrew Alley 1/29, Amber Waves 3/2, etc. HVHB usually the 3rd Sat in March.......

          On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 8:20 AM, daveysprocketbrew <daveysprocketbrew@...> wrote:

          Does anyone have any info on upcoming competitions? I can't seem to find any dates online.

        • David Johnson
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 4, 2012
            There was nothing on AWOG or NYSHOTY or HVHB.  What's up with that????

          • tom@folster.org
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 4, 2012
              AWOG will be in Feb (probably 25th).  HVHB will be March (probably 24th) and NYSHOTY  will be in Sept.
              All have web sites, AWOG probably hasn't been updated by these clubs yet

              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 4, 2012
                Tom AWG is listed on the BJCP site as March 2nd. 2012. The first competition will be Homebrew Alley, NYCHG, Jan 29th 2012.

                On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 11:59 AM, <tom@...> wrote:

                AWOG will be in Feb (probably 25th).  HVHB will be March (probably 24th) and NYSHOTY  will be in Sept.
                All have web sites, AWOG probably hasn't been updated by these clubs yet

                There was nothing on AWOG or NYSHOTY or HVHB.  What's up with that????

                Sprocket.....sprocket.....sprocket.  Look at the bjcp competition sched. Homebrew Alley 1/29, Amber Waves 3/2, etc. HVHB usually the 3rd Sat in March.......

                On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 8:20 AM, daveysprocketbrew <daveysprocketbrew@...> wrote:

                Does anyone have any info on upcoming competitions? I can't seem to find any dates online.

              • gridironbrewer
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 5, 2012
                  http://www.homebrewalley.org/

                  http://www.homebrewalley.org/
                  not updated, I suggest contacting one of the club members

                  HVHB-- Justin is getting everything set up; more info soon
                • David Johnson
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 6, 2012
                    Just got this email from AWOG.  Does it conflict w/HVHB??

                    The largest homebrew competition in NY at >500 entries, the Western NY Homebrew Competition “Amber Waves of Grain” will be held March 23 and 24th in Buffalo, NY.   The competition is hosted by the Niagara Association of Homebrewers and the Sultans of Swig.

                    If you can make it, please be sure to save the date.  If you are travelling in from out of town, we will be happy to arrange a bed for you at one of our local homebrewers’ homes.

                    Please consider judging!  We strive to treat our judges well; reasonable flight sizes, smooth organization, good food and unique thank you gifts.

                    Online judge registration will be available, eventually, at the competition website:  www.awoghomebrew.com  but for now please save the date J

                    Cheers and thank you!

                    Todd Snyder

                    There was nothing on AWOG or NYSHOTY or HVHB.  What's up with that????

                    Sprocket.....sprocket.....sprocket.  Look at the bjcp competition sched. Homebrew Alley 1/29, Amber Waves 3/2, etc. HVHB usually the 3rd Sat in March.......

                    On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 8:20 AM, daveysprocketbrew <daveysprocketbrew@...> wrote:

                    Does anyone have any info on upcoming competitions? I can't seem to find any dates online.

                  • David Sherfey
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 6, 2012

                      While it is a date conflict, just about nobody who judges in Buffalo also judges in the Hudson Valley . Way too far apart.

                      ds

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 6, 2012
                        I was gonna.

                        While it is a date conflict, just about nobody who judges in Buffalo also judges in the Hudson Valley . Way too far apart.

                        ds

                        There was nothing on AWOG or NYSHOTY or HVHB.  What's up with that????

                        Sprocket.....sprocket.....sprocket.  Look at the bjcp competition sched. Homebrew Alley 1/29, Amber Waves 3/2, etc. HVHB usually the 3rd Sat in March.......
                        On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 8:20 AM, daveysprocketbrew <daveysprocketbrew@...> wrote:

                        Does anyone have any info on upcoming competitions? I can't seem to find any dates online.

                      • philip denlinger
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 6, 2012
                          I am just a retired-from-competitions brewer, but from the standpoint of entering it is not good to have competitions on the same day.

                          When you need to pack up the bottles and ship, fill out the forms, and pay the entry fees, it's a bit of work and people will choose just one competition or the other.

                          I was gonna.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 6, 2012

                              Mr. Flynn, you are getting soft. I would recommend we not send them any!

                              BTW, the HVHB comp will be on the 24th, at a new location where we won’t be stressed for competition time and will be able to handle far more judges and entries than ever before. Details soon…

                              ds

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 6, 2012
                                David, when we don't send any, they keep the SHOTY points to thrmselves, which is why they change it anyway

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 7, 2012
                                  All I can say is I have judged at both and I think HVHB's is better run and a much friendlier atmosphere.  I haven't entered any brews in competition in probably 8 years, but this year, the kettles never really cooled down so I figured I might save a little out (not easy!).  I will plan on judging this year at AWOG just to keep my palate on its toes.  Make sure all HVHB entries have HVHB written in permanent marker on all entry bottles and I will help you guys out.  You need all the help you can get!!

                                  (just kidding, by the way.....)

                                  -Davey Sprocket

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jan 7, 2012
                                    I tried to get tickets to the Brewmasters Dinner last year, and got no replies to several requests until I finnaly got an email saying "sorry, it's sold out". I think they are deliberately trying to piss us off.

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jan 7, 2012
                                      Maybe they should stat their own state, then build a wall around it.