Spent Grain Fritters

  • jackbadflash
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2011
      When I was in Michigan I ate at a brewpub that made these. Anyone got a recipe? I have no idea what spices they used. I took a cup of spent grain and mixed it with 2 eggs and was able to make a flovorless fritter. ;-(
    • Jim
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4, 2011
        I would take a decent Zucchini or Cauliflower or Onion or (any vegetable you like) fritter recipe and add some spent grain to it. You may be a able to reduce the normal flour by 1/2 of the amount of spent grain you add. I wouldn't go too wild at first and pick a recipe with some spices to add interest.

        http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/cauliflower-fritters-25.html

        Indian Pakora are basically fritters (and mighty good ones)

        http://food.sulekha.com/pakora.htm

        I got these other spent grain recipes many years ago from Chuck Lutz.

        I made Granola and bread made from spent grains, here's the recipes (from Mid-Atlantic Brewing News, February/March issue);

        Granola
        4 Cups rolled oats
        2 Cups spent grain (wet)
        1/2 Cup wheat germ
        1/4 Cup honey
        1/4 Cup butter or margarine
        1-1/2 tsp cinnamon
        1 Cup raisins
        1 Cup dried mixed fruit/nuts
        Preheat oven to 300 degrees, three large baking sheets. Mix oats, spent grains, cinnamon and wheat germ together. In sauce pan heat honey and butter/margarine until runny, add to mixture. Spread granola mix thinly and evenly on the baking pans and bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Put granola back in the mixing bowl, add raisins and mixed dried fruit/nuts, mix well. When cool, store in air tight container. This recipe makes a granola that is of a cereal consistency, add more honey (about 3/4 to 1 cup) for a trail mix type granola.

        Bread (2 lb loaf)
        2 tsp honey
        1/2 Cup warm water
        1-1/2 tsp dry yeast
        1 Cup spent grain (wet)
        3 Cups bread flour
        1 tsp salt
        1-1/2 Cups beer made from the same grains
        Stir honey and 1/2 Cup warm water together, mix in yeast and let stand until foamy. In a mixing bowl combine spent grains, flour and salt. Add yeast solution. Mix together and slowly add beer until dough is thick and sticky. Let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes. Grease a 9x5x3 baking pan, add bread mixture and put in 400 degree oven and bake for 50 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.

        Some other spent grain recipes

        http://www.breworganic.com/recipes/cooking-recipes.html

        http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spent-Grain-Wheat-Bread/Detail.aspx

        Tony Becampis a former HVHB club member and super Wheat beer brewer (congrats on your award) had a recipe for spent grain cookies but I can't find it. Maybe someone else has it and can post it or if you want I'll email him and get a copy and post it here or he can if he still follows this group.

        Jim T

        --- In hudsonvalleyhomebrewers@yahoogroups.com, "jackbadflash" <jack@...> wrote:

        > When I was in Michigan I ate at a brewpub that made these. Anyone got a recipe? I have no idea what spices they used. I took a cup of spent grain and mixed it with 2 eggs and was able to make a flovorless fritter. ;-(

      • Lyn Howard
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 4, 2011
          Sounds interesting,

          If it was at the Saugatuck Brewery that you were visiting, then it sounds like they were probably Zucchini and Spent Grain Fritters. (Based only on a google search on the web.) I would say search for Zucchini fritter recipes and then play with substituting the starch in the recipe with spent grain until you get something you like. One caution is that spent grains can have a lot of liquid left in them so you will have to account for this in the recipe formulation.

          Enjoy,

          Lyn

        • jackbadflash
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 5, 2011
            It was indeed the Saugatuck Brewery. Check it out if you get a chance. The New Holland Brewery/Distillery as well. Both excellent.

            I de-water my spent grain, but thanks for the tip. I'll let you know when I get to something worth eating.