Re: Sour Beers Available In NY?

  • amehta718
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2010
      I'm assuming they are in the New York City region since they are in NYCHG. Even though it doesn't look like it from the outside, one of the best places to buy beer in the city is New Beer Distributors at 167 Chrystie Street on the Lower East Side. The selection is very good and the prices are reasonable for the city. Also, a few blocks down is the Whole Foods Bowery that also has a great selection.

      I'm not the most experienced sour beer drinker, but here are some of my favorites:

      Moderately Sour (sourness more along of the lines of Liefman's Goudenband)

      Ommegang Zuur (don't know if it is out yet, but I tried it a beerfest and thought it was great)
      Ithaca Brute (might be hard to find, but a really refreshing sour beer)
      Jolly Pumpkin Calabaza Blanca

      Very Sour

      Cantillon Lou Pepe Kriek (the regular Kriek is also excellent)
      Kriek De Ranke
      Cantillon Gueze
      3 Fonteinen Gueze
      Hanssens Oude Gueze

      If you want to do your friend a big favor, send them some Russian River beers from California. Supplication and Consecration are both awesome.
    • Erin Sine
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2010
        Just found out that Ommegan Zuur is on tap and in bottles at Aroma Thyme Bistro in ellenville ny.

        http://beersontap.blogspot.com/