Re: [hudsonvalleyhomebrewers] Buy Wine and Beer Thursday Because Taxes Rise Friday

  • Ray Sykes
    Message 1 of 10 , May 4 4:13 AM
      I think we need to close the loop holes and tax grain extract hops and yeast.Honey also and water too.

      From: fflynn@optonline. net <fflynn@optonline. net>
      To: hudsonvalleyhomebre wers@yahoogroups .com
      Date: Wednesday, April 29, 2009, 2:58 PM

      Hey! You better not be screwing up my pension with this commie info.   BTW, what money, do you think, pays your salary? The farther they come, the sillier their idea's...... .......

      Message 2 of 10 , May 4 5:58 AM
        You're not getting out of the nomination that easily........Mr. president,

        > I think we need to close the loop holes and tax grain extract
        > hops and yeast.Honey also and water too.

      • jtaylor54
        Message 3 of 10 , May 4 9:22 AM
          To late Prezident elect Ray that ship has sailed. These are all sales taxed already in NY (even water). Increasing the sales tax will be the next step. Politicians (I guess I'm picking on the democrats because they are in control)find it much easier to raise taxes than to cut out programs for their entitled constituency or reduce their own perks.

          But I have to say as a recently converted democrat who is now on a free ride I gotta say I was a sucker to work so hard for 39 years. The government cheese tastes just fine to me. My goal is to be one of the lucky group of people who get tax rebates without even having to file taxes.

          JT

          P.S. Maybe since they are so free to tax 'sins' like alcohol, tobacco, gas and lotto they should tax other sins like lobbyists, prostitutes and lying. We could close the deficit in a jiffy.

          Just to keep this beer related I was thinking about a future UGH (whoops I mean ESB) event where we have a club cask ale festival. Anyone who brings a cask ale could come. Maybe potluck food or figure a way for people who can't make a cask ale bring a raffle prize and food so we could get more participation.

          --- In hudsonvalleyhomebrewers@yahoogroups.com, Ray Sykes <stonewheel1@...> wrote:

          > I think we need to close the loop holes and tax grain extract hops and yeast.Honey also and water too.

        • Phil
          Message 4 of 10 , May 4 9:54 AM
            If they start taxing prostitution, then I'm moving to Canada.  And I doubt I'll be the only one!

            Phil

            To late Prezident elect Ray that ship has sailed. These are all sales taxed already in NY (even water). Increasing the sales tax will be the next step. Politicians (I guess I'm picking on the democrats because they are in control)find it much easier to raise taxes than to cut out programs for their entitled constituency or reduce their own perks.

            But I have to say as a recently converted democrat who is now on a free ride I gotta say I was a sucker to work so hard for 39 years. The government cheese tastes just fine to me. My goal is to be one of the lucky group of people who get tax rebates without even having to file taxes.

            JT

            P.S. Maybe since they are so free to tax 'sins' like alcohol, tobacco, gas and lotto they should tax other sins like lobbyists, prostitutes and lying. We could close the deficit in a jiffy.

            Just to keep this beer related I was thinking about a future UGH (whoops I mean ESB) event where we have a club cask ale festival. Anyone who brings a cask ale could come. Maybe potluck food or figure a way for people who can't make a cask ale bring a raffle prize and food so we could get more participation.

            --- In hudsonvalleyhomebre wers@yahoogroups .com, Ray Sykes <stonewheel1@ ...> wrote:

            > I think we need to close the loop holes and tax grain extract hops and yeast.Honey also and water too.

          • Ken
            Message 5 of 10 , May 4 10:02 AM
              I think it is more BS that NYS has passed a bar code law for all beer sold in NY. Maybe they raised taxes because they know they might not be importing a lot of micros that can't afford to have a specialized code on their labels and they'll need to close the gap. I got an email "from" Charlie Papazian which I've copied below in case you didn't get one.

              May 4, 2009
              Dear New York Beer Activist,
              At the request of the New York State Brewers Association, we are alerting you to an issue which could dramatically affect your access to the craft beers made by small breweries all across the country.
              As you have likely learned, the state of New York recently enacted a requirement that bottled products sold in your state must bear a New York-specific UPC code for bottle deposit and redemption purposes. This requirement will have severe negative impacts on many businesses, including and particularly, small breweries. The cost to produce a state-specific label with a unique UPC and the inventory and shipping challenges that presents, will mean many small breweries will be forced to pull their beers out of the New York market because the cost of doing business in the state will be simply too high. And just think of the precedent this potentially sets for other states should they enact similar requirements…small brewer out-of-state sales could be decimated coast to coast.
              Several brewing companies have already weighed in on this issue with the Governor, explaining they would have no choice but to discontinue distribution of their beers. This is bad for the state of New York, bad for small brewers everywhere, and perhaps worst of all for New York residents who are craft beer drinkers. Access to the wide range of beer you currently enjoy will be severely limited in the future should this requirement remain on the books.
              Please take a few minutes and call or email your State Senator and Assemblyman. Let them know that you feel the New York-specific UPC is a bad idea for business and a bad idea for Empire State residents who drink craft beer and vote. Ask them to support a repeal of the New York-specific UPC requirement as contained in the recently passed Bottle Bill.
              To identify your state elected officials by zip code and for contact information:
              Assembly: http://assembly.state.ny.us/mem/
              Senate: http://www.senate.state.ny.us/sdlookup.nsf/Public_search?OpenForm
              Thanks for standing up for consumer choice and America's small brewers.
              Charlie Papazian

              President
              Brewers Association
              Gary Glass

              Director
              American Homebrewers Association
              gary@...
              888.822.8273 x 121

              --- In hudsonvalleyhomebrewers@yahoogroups.com, Phil <dogglebe@...> wrote:

              > If they start taxing prostitution, then I'm moving to Canada.  And I doubt I'll be the only one!
              >

              > Phil

            • jtaylor54
              Message 6 of 10 , May 4 12:46 PM
                Sorry Phil I should have been more specific. I just meant the high end prostitutes that service polictians and governors. You should be safe, the little guy should be exempt.

                JT