Dr. Fred A. Baughman comes in Defense of Our Children

  • Rolando Bini
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2007
      From: "Carol Taylor" <littleblackbook@...>

      Bottom of Form

      I have known Dr. Baughman, a concerned and honest doctor for over 40
      years; he does not engage in prevarication. Every parent, educator and
      medical professional should pass this vital information on to others the
      world over.

      Carol Taylor R.N.

      First Black U.S.A. Flight Attendant

      Author: The ADHD Fraud—How Psychiatry Makes "Patients" of
      Normal Children

      www.Trafford.com <http://www.trafford.com/>

      fredbaughmanmd@...
      <http://us.f307.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?To=fredbaughmanmd@...>

      1303 HIDDEN MOUNTAIN DRIVE

      EL CAJON, CA 92019

      Tele:(619) 440-8236
      Fax: (619) 442-1932

      THERE IS NO SUCH DISEASE AS ADHD?

      By Fred A. Baughman, Jr., MD

      The American Medical Association, the American Academy of Pediatrics,
      and the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, have
      refused to answer the Portsmouth, VA School Boards' questions on the
      subject of ADHD. Six national organizations and eight local groups
      sent a letter requesting that the School Board retract their flier and
      send a new one stating that ADHD is a disease that requires treatment.
      But is ADHD actually a disease? Do the children actually need
      treatment?

      In 2000, The Clinical Practice Guideline: Diagnosis and Evaluation of
      the Child with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder was reprinted
      from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual-IV (DSM-IV), of the American
      Psychiatric Association in PEDIATRICS [1], the journal of the American
      Academy of Pediatrics. The Guideline states: "ADHD is the most
      common neurobehavioral disorder of childhood."

      I [2] responded: "Neurobehavioral," implies an abnormality of
      the brain; a disease. And yet, no confirmatory, physical or chemical
      abnormality of the brain (or anywhere else in the body) has been found.
      With 6 million children said to have it, most of them on addictive,
      dangerous, Schedule III, stimulants—ambiguity as to the scientific
      status of ADHD is no longer acceptable." I proceeded: "It is
      apparent that virtually all professionals of the extended ADHD
      `industry' convey to parents, and to the public-at large, that
      ADHD is a "disease" and that children said to have it are
      "diseased" and "abnormal." The signatories of the
      American Academy of Pediatric's Guidelines and the definition
      therein, leaving no doubt that ADHD is a disease (in medicine, the term
      "disorder" equals "disease" equals physical abnormality)
      were (1) the American Academy of Family Physicians, (2) the American
      Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, (3) the Child Neurology
      Society, (4) the Society for Pediatric Psychology, (5) the Society for
      Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, and (6) the Society for
      Developmental Pediatrics.

      In 1993, in the Journal of the American Medical Association,

      I [3] wrote: "Unlike definite syndromes (in medicine,
      "syndrome" equals "disorder," equals "disease"
      equals "physical abnormality), such as Klinefelter's (syndrome),
      Brown-Sequard (syndrome), and Down's (syndrome), in which there is a
      constancy of symptoms (always subjective) and signs (objective
      abnormalities), the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental
      Disorders, Revised, Third Edition (DSM-III-R) allows any combination of
      eight of 14 behaviors for a diagnosis of attention-deficit hyperactivity
      disorder."

      I asked: "What is the danger of having these children believe they
      have something wrong with their brains that makes it impossible for them
      to control themselves without a pill? What is the danger of having the
      most important adults in their lives, their parents and teachers,
      believe this as well?"

      In 1998, the Council on Scientific Affairs of the American Medical
      Association [4] stated: "…there is little evidence of widespread
      overdiagnosis or misdiagnosis of ADHD or of widespread over-prescription
      of methylphenidate." I [5] responded: "As a neurologist, I have
      found no abnormality (disease) in children said to have ADHD."
      "On August 5, 1998, William B. Carey, MD, of the Children's
      Hospital of Philadelphia replied, `There are no such studies.'
      [constituting proof that ADHD is a disease]. I continued: "Once
      children are labeled with ADHD, they are no longer treated as normal.
      Once methylphenidate hydrochloride or any psychotropic drug courses
      through their brain and body, they are, for the first time, physically,
      neurologically and biologically abnormal."

      At the November 16-18, 1998, National Institutes of Health,
      ADHD,Consensus Conference, Swanson and Castellanos, of CHADD, sought to
      represent stimulant-induced brain shrinkage/atrophy as proof that ADHD
      was an actual disease. They said nothing in their presentation of the
      fact that there had never yet been a study utilizing untreated,
      un-drugged, ADHD subjects. Confronted on this point at the end of his
      presentation, Swanson confessed as much and spoke, meekly, of plans to
      do such an essential study. The Consensus Conference Panel could only
      confess on the last day of the Consensus Conference, November 18, 1998:
      " ...we do not have an independent, valid test for ADHD, and there
      are no data to indicate that ADHD is due to a brain malfunction."

      With the epidemic at approximately 4.4 million nationwide, they actually
      confessed there was no such thing as ADHD, meaning, also, that they
      could not possibly have a test for it. Nor has there been honest or
      valid research since, proving that ADHD is a disease. And yet the
      claims it is a disease continue and the parents and the public are
      regularly regaled with the "chemical imbalance" lie, abrogating
      their democratic right to informed consent.

      This, ladies and gentlemen of the Portsmouth, VA, School Board, is why
      you have had no response from the American Medical Association, the
      American Academy of Pediatrics or the American Academy of Child and
      Adolescent Psychiatry--"leaders" of U.S. medicine. Nor have I
      been able to elicit such a statement of the truth of the matter from the
      American Academy of Neurology, of which I am a fellow.

      This is why CHADD tries to stop the questioning. They are paid millions
      to fashion ADHD out of thin air, and "patients" out of normal
      children. This is why they ask you to publish for the school boards of
      Virginia that ADHD is a disease—something there is no proof of.
      There is no such disease as ADHD! No child, anywhere has it? Comprised
      of an ever-changing list of subjective symptoms, it will never be a
      disease.

      I will gladly attest to the above, under penalty of perjury, in any
      court of law.