Headers

  • Ajay
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2001
      i m writing a small web server. i just want to know that when the client downloads something it should first check in the cache and if it is in the cache it should download from the cache . accroding to me to enable this u have to pass some headers which include last modified date .But when i pass the header like http/1.0 200 ok , after sending this i send the page . but it appears as junk char in the html page . can anyone tell me where i m going wrong

      Ajay

      MicroWorld Software Services Pvt Ltd (MSSPL)
      Web : http://www.mspl.net
      E-Mail : sales@...
      Phones : +91-22-826 5701 to 826 5705/35/36/39/40
      Fax : +91-22-830 4750

      MailScan : Content Security for your EMail Servers and Gateways
      eScan : Content Security for your Workstations and File-Servers

      eScan & MailScan are the world's first "real-time" Content-Security
      and Virus Scanner products, using the MicroWorld Winsock Layer
      (MWL) Technology.
    • Joris Dobbelsteen
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 7, 2001
        Did you read RFC2616 (HTTP/1.1 specification). This document included all
        the information needed to create a HTTP/1.1 implementation. It's recommended
        for new implementations to support HTTP/1.1.
        HTTP/1.1 is backwards compatible with HTTP/1.0. Please see RFC2616 for more
        information.

        You can get RFC2616 from http://www.ietf.org/.

        Some information about the HTTP/1.1 caching mechanism:

        Client request page.
        Server send page and may send information like:
        modified date (not relevant for cache),
        pragma: no-cache (HTTP/1.0 do not cache document)
        cache-control header (HTTP/1.1 caching mechanism)
        expires header (HTTP/1.1 document expiration info)
        Vary header (HTTP/1.1 dynamic content information)

        Note that a client can make a request with:
        * if-modified header
        * ETag (???) header
        These are added by the client to check for the latest available document
        version. If the client has indeed the latest version, the server should
        respond with: 304 Not Modified. Otherwise the server should return the
        document (200 OK response).

        You should definitly read RFC2616 for information about this.
        I can't explain it in a short mail and I won't write a long one, since you
        can find everything you could possibly need quite clear in the RFC.

        Please take care you be compatible with the HTTP/1.0 caching mechanism. Also
        ensure you support filtering the CRLF before the startline. This ensures

        - Joris

        [SNIP]