"what does Keep-alive: 300" mean"

  • skgupta@hss.hns.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2001
      I was looking at the header of GET request sent by Mozilla.
      I came across this header field "keep-alive: 300".
      This field is not present in the GET request sent by
      netscape 4.7 and IE 5.0 .

      One more doubt, If this field is particular to Mozilla
      browser, as my observation suggests, then How the server
      is supposed to understand this field ?

      Regards
      -Pawan
    • John Stracke
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2001
        skgupta@... wrote:

        > One more doubt, If this field is particular to Mozilla
        > browser, as my observation suggests, then How the server
        > is supposed to understand this field ?

        RFC-2068, section 19.7.1

        --
        /================================================================\
        |John Stracke | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own. |
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2001
          > > One more doubt, If this field is particular to Mozilla
          > > browser, as my observation suggests, then How the server
          > > is supposed to understand this field ?
          >
          > RFC-2068, section 19.7.1

          No, it's not that.

          The pre-HTTP/1.1 persistent connection mechanism uses,

          Connection: Keep-Alive

          on the request side, and on the response side,

          Connection: Keep-Alive

          and you might also see the Apache extension,

          Keep-Alive: max=???; timeout=???

          Mozilla is the only client I've come across which uses a Keep-Alive:
          header on the request side.

          Presumably it's a hint to the server that the client will close the
          connection after the specified number of seconds. I'm not entirely
          sure what the value of this hint is supposed to be tho'. It might be
          useful if the default value were less than 2*MSL, in which case it
          would help a busy server to decide whether leave the client to close
          or take the time wait hit itself. But the default seems to be 300
          secs.

          Cheers,

          Miles

          --
          Miles Sabin InterX
          Internet Systems Architect 27 Great West Road