Microsoft HTTP 1.1 Conformance?

  • John C. Mallery
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 11, 2000
      I just started checking out IE browser 5.0 for the Mac. Whereas in 4.5
      there was a switch to get it to use Http 1.1 in proxy requests, no such
      switch remains in the current version.

      I'm wondering if the microsoft browsers are going backwards on http 1,1
      conformance, just as they lost digest authentication from IE 3 in later
      releases.

      Can anybody shed some light precisely what the status of IE's conformance
      to HTTP 1.1 is?

      Can anybody explain why 100s of MS hackers are unable after years to
      achieve 100% conformance?

      Does this reflect the lack of competition for MS in the browser arena?
      An explicit management strategy?

      Perhaps this suggests a remedy as well: IE A, B, and C
      and suggest a remedy?
    • Scott Lawrence
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 12, 2000
        > From: John C. Mallery

        > I'm wondering if the microsoft browsers are going
        > backwards on http 1,1
        > conformance, just as they lost digest authentication from
        > IE 3 in later
        > releases.

        No, I believe that they just changed the configurability of it.

        IE5 supports 1.1, and supports Digest (rfc2617).

        > Can anybody shed some light precisely what the status of
        > IE's conformance
        > to HTTP 1.1 is?

        Far far better than Netscape, which doesn't do 1.1 at all.
      • John C. Mallery
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 12, 2000
          At 10:06 -0400 04-12-2000, Scott Lawrence wrote:
          > > From: John C. Mallery
          >
          >> I'm wondering if the microsoft browsers are going
          >> backwards on http 1,1
          >> conformance, just as they lost digest authentication from
          >> IE 3 in later
          >> releases.
          >
          >No, I believe that they just changed the configurability of it.
          >
          >IE5 supports 1.1, and supports Digest (rfc2617).

          And what about http 1.1 proxying?
        • Joris Dobbelsteen
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 19, 2000
            You can let the MS Proxy Server only work with HTTP/1.1 if you install the
            Microsoft Internet Information Service (IIS) version 3.0 or later.
            At least, this is what MS says....

            - Joris

          • Keith Hoffman
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 22, 2000
              Actually you need to have IIS 4.0 installed.