Re: Content-Transfer-Encoding

  • Larry Masinter
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 1995
      a) I think we should pay attention to Harald's request that we not
      call it a C-T-E. Even though we can justify that usage ourselves,
      there's no harm in using a different header in HTTP, is there?

      b) I'll give up calling for a string-terminated boundary marker if no
      one else thinks it is worthwhile.

      c) So far the HTTP WG has avoided specifying what happens with CGI --
      it's out of scope of the WG, platform dependent, etc. However, changes
      to HTTP do affect CGI, so should be considered.
    • Ian Duncan
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 1995
        On Tue, 1 Aug 1995, Larry Masinter wrote:

        > a) I think we should pay attention to Harald's request that we not
        > call it a C-T-E. Even though we can justify that usage ourselves,
        > there's no harm in using a different header in HTTP, is there?

        C-T-E is a really gross but essential bit of cruft. Creating something
        similar but with elegant purpose should imply a new name. The MIME
        spec. expressly closes the category off for extension anyhow and it's a
        gesture that should be respected.

        > b) I'll give up calling for a string-terminated boundary marker if no
        > one else thinks it is worthwhile.

        I think it's essential not just worthwhile, but I suppose it can wait 'til
        HTTP-NG if necessary. Being able to start sending a stream before having
        the full wad in hand has too many applications to ignore support for it,
        particularly since we've got a functioning model, that's proven to work
        well, available to clone.

        ... ian