Question about HTTP/1.1 and proxy servers

  • Babin, Francois (F.F.)
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 1997
      Hi,

      As I don't seem to get any answer to my question within the usenet, you
      might
      be able to help me here.

      Is there any way, on the server side, to identify if a request
      originated by an http
      client has passed through a proxy ? Is there anything that a proxy
      changes within
      the HTTP request/header before forwarding it that could be used ?

      Many thx in advance
      rgds,
      - Francois Babin
      Nortel Europe SA
      francois_babin@...
      (+33) 1 41 99 18 71
    • Ari Luotonen
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 1997
        > As I don't seem to get any answer to my question within the usenet,
        > you might be able to help me here.
        >
        > Is there any way, on the server side, to identify if a request
        > originated by an http client has passed through a proxy ? Is there
        > anything that a proxy changes within the HTTP request/header before
        > forwarding it that could be used ?

        Yes, but depending on the version of the proxy server software, this
        information may be in different places. Here are the possibilities:

        - "Via:" header (HTTP/1.1)
        - "Forwarded:" header (some HTTP/1.0 implementations)

        Cheers,
        --
        Ari Luotonen, Mail-Stop MV-061 Opinions my own, not Netscape's.
        Netscape Communications Corp. ari@...