Re: Confusion about Age: accuracy vs. safety

  • Jeffrey Mogul
    Message 1 of 31 , Sep 3, 1996
      I'm sorry, but this is incredible. I demonstrated how the entire
      network of New Zealand (3.6 million people and the highest tech
      ratio of any nation) can be completely disabled by Jeff's
      "conservative algorithm".

      Aside from the minor point that you have "demonstrated" no such
      thing (since you almost certainly don't have sufficient data to
      to quantify the amount of overestimation error would be introduced
      by the algorithm in the spec, or to quantify the resultant number
      of cache misses caused by errors of this magnitude), your argument
      is based on a premise that you know to be false, because you insisted
      on its falsity during the design of HTTP/1.1. To wit: the spec
      explicitly allows your caches to ignore the expiration times (because
      you insisted on this) and, if so, it hardly matters what the Age is.

      -Jeff
    • Harald.T.Alvestrand@uninett.no
      Message 31 of 31 , Sep 5, 1996
        koen@... said:
        > It will be interesting to see if certain parts of the draft never get
        > implemented by cache implementers. If that is the case, I believe
        > that the IETF process allows us to cut these parts when going from
        > proposed to RFC.

        Even stronger.
        The IETF rules REQUIRE that EVERY feature of the spec has at least
        2 interoperable implementations when the spec moves from Proposed
        to Draft Standard, AND that this is documented to the IESG.
        Deleting features IS allowed.

        So when it's time, it's time either for some high speed coding or
        for some high speed scissor work....

        Harald T. Alvestrand