Re: new web analysis page available

  • Harald.T.Alvestrand@uninett.no
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 1996
      (duck)

      > touch@...:
      > PS - a recent Internet Draft discussed the issue of TCP connection
      > control, and aggregation across bottleneck links (although not the
      > primary issue of the draft):
      > draft-touch-tcp-interdep-00.txt
      thanks - I had that document in my cache to read.

      > The general conclusion we reached was that there is a good argument
      > for controlling some of the parameters of multiple TCP connections
      > to account for aggregate behavior, such as the graceful behavior
      > over bottlenecks you describe.
      >
      > This is the case not only for multiple TCPs from a single host, but
      > also for multiple TCPs from a set of hosts with a similar path.
      This seems like a good thing to research; at the moment, I wouldn't
      even try to guess which destinations are "similar path" and which
      destinations are special cases because of remote-system problems.

      > This is a problem that should be addressed anyway; once addressed,
      > the need for persistent HTTP weakens even further.
      If we could replace kernels at the same speed we replace browsers and
      servers, yes, perhaps....in many ways I see p-HTTP as a reaction to the
      fact that the Net with TCP is NOT a good environment for transaction-like
      behaviour; what we can do to change that underlying fact, we should..

      Looking forward to seeing further work in this area!

      Harald A
    • Jon Crowcroft
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 1996
        >> touch@...:
        >> PS - a recent Internet Draft discussed the issue of TCP connection
        >> control, and aggregation across bottleneck links (although not the
        >> primary issue of the draft):
        >> draft-touch-tcp-interdep-00.txt
        >thanks - I had that document in my cache to read.

        I think i was a touch negative about this last time i commented, which
        was uncalled for - the idea is good ....

        to apply it to "similar" paths. one could just use cidr
        prefixes.....if a destination path overlaps its likely
        to share part of a prefix......

        (or of course caches could literally trun traceroute to each other and
        mark out paths that actualy are sharing links known to be
        bottlnecks...)

        jon