additional response status codes

  • Balint Nagy Endre
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 1995
      Hi all,
      I suggest one or more additional response codes to take into consideration for the
      following situations:

      In the case when a proxy want to offer a different/no proxy to use instead.
      (Now can return 403 forbidden only.)
      [explanation]
      There are good reasons to make possible a such offer:

      when a proxy server moves,

      when [the admin of] the proxy knows a better choice for a given origin server
      or for a given user,

      when a proxy to proxy (routing like) protocoll will be available, and a better
      choice is learned from that protocoll,

      when a caching proxy want to offer bypass, because knows that the
      response isn't cacheable (by cacheing only the Cache-Control directive from a
      previously forwarded request).

      Some additional reponse headers can be used to differentiate between different
      reasons and the Location: (and URI: for additional alternetives) can be used to
      carry the URL of the recommended proxies.

      Sometimes even origin servers may use this feature when a very distant client
      makes a direct request.

      This new response code(s) improves the protocol because it makes possible
      new features, resulting better scaleablility of the Web.

      Andrew. (Endre Balint Nagy) <bne@...>