issue with http result....

  • feit@netspeed.com.au
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 20, 2001

      > I'm working in tcl on a program I wrote which cycles through
      > a database table of urls and reports each ones' status.
      I use a package in tcl which implements the client-side of
      the http protocol. The functionality works except for one url
      which keeps reporting a 404 - Not Found error, even though it
      a) returns much quicker (the standard 404 - Not Found error
      returns after it timesout at 2-minutes), and b) I can always
      get to the url via my web browser.

      Also, when I run the same set of commands from home I get a
      200 - Ok status for the same url.

      Now, at work I have to configure the http with a proxyhost and
      proxyport, and I'm thinking that the url's server
      just doesn't want to speak
      to something running through a proxy to reach it .... On the
      other hand, my browsers at work also work through proxies.

      One more hint, I can actually fetch the body with the http
      package, it's just the head (which is the bit I'm checking,
      for the obvious reason of efficiency) that returns the errant
      response.

      Has anyone seen this before? I'm trying to get through the
      testing of my program, and I can't prove that it will work
      better on the final site (which doesn't use proxies). Also,
      this is only one link out of 40 or 50 in the test data. If the
      proxies aren't the problem, then how do I know that once we
      have thousands of links to manage that we won't have dozens
      of such mistakes, which becomes very very annoying for a human
      operator to check...

      Thanks!
      - Elissa
    • Alex Rousskov
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 20, 2001
        On Thu, 20 Sep 2001 feit@... wrote:

        > this is only one link out of 40 or 50 in the test data. If the
        > proxies aren't the problem, then how do I know that once we
        > have thousands of links to manage that we won't have dozens
        > of such mistakes, which becomes very very annoying for a human
        > operator to check...

        You will always have erroneous or otherwise unexpected responses if
        you use real URLs. There are a lot of odd servers out there. There is
        no way around it. Using something like HEAD instead of GET will only
        increase the number of servers not being able to respond correctly.
        Do the best you can but accept some casualties.

        In most cases, if your script works with thousands of links that you
        do not control, then you do not care about a few wrong results. If you
        control the sites your URLs point to, you should be able to have
        more-or-less expected results after all bugs are sorted out.

        $0.02,

        Alex.