IE 6, 5.5 and 5 Different HTTP 304 Cache Behaviour

  • Dave Potts
    Message 1 of 1 , May 20, 2004
      Hello,

      I've noticed the following behaviour between ie version 5, 5.5 and
      6...

      If the browser makes a GET request that returns a HTML page that
      references static cachable resources and these have been cached on the
      browser then no request is made to the server.

      In IE 5.0 and some (not all) IE 5.5 versions if the browser makes a
      POST request who's response is HTML that references the same static
      resource then the browser makes a conditional GET to which the server
      responds 304. This doesn't happen in IE 6. This also happens if the
      browser makes a POST who's response is a redirect to a GET for a page
      with the static resource -- same 304 behaviour.

      This causes a problem to the subset of our users who have high network
      latency so that a 304 is nearly as bad as a full GET.

      Has anyone seen this before?

      Anyone know if Microsoft have recorded this behaviour?

      Cheers,

      Dave.