Potted list of RFC 2616 MUST / SHOULD / MAY requirements?

  • colin_cj_macdonald
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 29, 2004
      Hey ho all,

      I'm currently pruning 2616 down to a list of the actual requirements,
      but it occurs to me that someone must (MUST) have done this already.
      Can anyone point me to an existing list of compliant requirements?

      Also, can I be the 837rd person to ask if anyone knows of any tools to
      test *client* compliance (I know about measurement-factory and
      hcltechnologies for proxies and caches). I've had a look at Jigsaw (
      http://jigsaw.w3.org/HTTP/ ) which covers a few cases, but I'm looking
      for a full RFC 2616 test that both validates client requests, and
      provides clear references for what the client should display for each
      response (with Jigsaw it's not clear what you're supposed to be
      seeing). A commercial solution would be fine.

      Many thanks,

      -Colin MacDonald-
    • Alex Rousskov
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 29, 2004
        On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, colin_cj_macdonald wrote:

        > I'm currently pruning 2616 down to a list of the actual
        > requirements, but it occurs to me that someone must (MUST) have done
        > this already. Can anyone point me to an existing list of compliant
        > requirements?

        A list of MUST-level requirements (cross-linked with the RFC 2026 text
        and test cases, where applicable) is a part of the Co-Advisor test
        suite:

        http://coad.measurement-factory.com/cgi-bin/coad/GraseIndexCgi?index_ids=CLAUSES
        http://coad.measurement-factory.com/cgi-bin/coad/GraseIndexCgi?index_ids=GROUPS

        It would be fairly straightforward to add MAYs and SHOULDs to the
        above, but few people care about those.

        > Also, can I be the 837rd person to ask if anyone knows of any tools
        > to test *client* compliance. A commercial solution would be fine.

        Folks indeed want client-side tests, but, so far, we have been unable
        to find a company willing to pay for them; a few came very close
        though, so there is still hope. Since you accept a commercial
        solution, perhaps your company can be the first to sponsor one?

        There are three basic approaches to client-side tests: the test suite
        drives the client using some client-specific API, a human drives the
        client using dynamic instructions from the test suite, and a test
        suite does trace analyses of a real protocol chat. Which approach
        would work better in your environment?

        Alex.

        --
        Protocol performance, functionality, and reliability testing.
        Tools, services, and know-how.