Html5 apps on iPad/iPhone

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14, 2013
      I have been doing some research on using Html5 to build iPad/iPhone apps. My only concern is performance.

      On iPad if you want to built a Html5 app you will have to use UIWebView control (PhoneGap also uses this control). For graphic intensive apps the performance is the same as Mobile Safari:

      http://www.codefessions.com/2012/11/is-webview-slower-than-mobile-browser.html

      However, in UIWebView the Javascript performance is slower because Nitro JIT is disabled due to security reasons. Therefore for compute intensive apps UIWebView is much slower:

      http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11648184/uiwebview-and-safari-comparison

      However, it is expected to catch up on iOS 7 with a new controller _UIWebViewController:

      https://github.com/nst/iOS-Runtime-Headers/blob/master/Frameworks/UIKit.framework/_UIWebViewController.h

      Overall the things are looking quite good for Html5 development on iPad/iPhone.

      Zia