[hreg] Re: Solar Home Tour

  • Kathryn Houser
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 4, 1999
      Kim & Garth Travis wrote:

      > Hi,
      > The solar home tour was one of the topics discussed at the last
      > business meeting. There were people for setting up a Houston tour,
      > but several members had never seen one. The idea was put forth that
      > perhaps the HREG should charter a bus or several vans and go as a
      > group this year to the tour in Austin to see how it was done.
      > Considering that this project need to be done by Oct. 16, I think our
      > group visiting Austin makes more sense than trying to set up our own
      > tour in mere 10.5 weeks. Comments?
      >
      > Kim Travis
      > [click here]
      > Click Here!
      > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/hreg

      Your group coming to Austin to see the tour is a great idea and has an
      added benefit for those who could stay overnight: we plan to have the
      annual membership meeting for TXSES the following Sunday. This is
      generally a fun gathering, barbeque kind of thing, with some future
      planning thrown in the mix. It would be especially great if some HREG
      members could stay over to participate and represent your interests and
      needs.
      As far as seeing what goes into the planning of a full-blown tour, you
      won't get the whole picture by going on the tour. By that point, it is
      a well oiled machine that appears to run on its own. However, for the
      scale of the Central Texas tour, it takes a full time staff person two
      months of work. I do not suggest you go into your first tour with this
      as your expectation. It is something to strive for over the years, as
      we have grown with the TXSES tour. Last year, I got a SECO grant for
      $8,000 to support it. This year, I have a U.S. DOE grant to support
      it. Very different kind of approach from what you all will be doing as
      a volunteer group. Our first year was a very thrown together, last
      minute effort, that had great results from simply faxing out a map of 6
      locations to anyone who called from an article in the local newspaper
      covering one of the houses. That kind of coverage is the key to getting
      the public's eye. After finding sites for the tour, find who knows
      someone in the media business that can get you in the door for coverage
      before the event. Bingo! You have a tour.
      Kathryn Houser, Director
      TXSES
    • d j
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 4, 1999
        I will sign off this trip. How is group Bus run from Houston?