Re: [hreg] Sunsource

  • Solar Energy
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 25, 2010
      Thanks

      --- On Sun, 7/25/10, justin@... <justin@...> wrote:

      From: justin@... <justin@...>
      Subject: Re: [hreg] Sunsource
      To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, July 25, 2010, 6:23 PM

      Hi Ahmad,

      We used 8, 200 aH batteries with the Magnum Mini Panel/Sinewave Inverter Control Center w/ 10, 220 W panels and micro-inverters. The cost ended up being around 20K...not including any incentives. The cool thing about it is that although it only powers her kitchen area in a power outage, it acts as a standard grid-tied system when the grid is up and running, feeding her main service panel once the batteries are charged and her sub-panel loads(kitchen) have been taken care of.

      Pretty cool stuff!

      -Justin Owens

      From: justin@gulfcoastren ewableresources. com <justin@gulfcoastren ewableresources. com>
      To: hreg@yahoogroups. com
      Date: Sunday, July 25, 2010, 2:35 PM

       I can't speak for Lennox air conditioners myself. I'm not at all familiar with them. If all you are wanting is a refrigerator powered by solar, then you would just get a PV system and bypass the Lennox air conditioner. A standard grid-tied system with a battery backup would work for that. We are just finishing up a 2.22 kW grid-tied system with battery backup in Galveston that will power a refrigerator, ceiling fan and several wall receptacles in a homeowner's kitchen. If you are asking whether the a/c unit could be powered by the solar during a power outage, given a battery bank, then the answer is yes...but it would take a pretty large PV system and require isolation of the a/c branch circuit. I'd recommend a smaller DC powered air conditioner for single room comfort to save some money.

      But then again, if you have the money to throw at it, just cover your roof with panels and fill your garage with batteries. ;)
      From: Justin

      I'd suspect any unit would work, as it's pretty much a grid tied system utilizing the A/C branch circuit, however the splice kit by Lennox is the key component of the integration, so this could be an issue. It seems to me more like a ploy to sell Lennox ac systems when all it really is, is a grid tied PV system. Good for marketing, though. It's a great way to get people interested in solar and that alone is truly beneficial.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jul 22, 2010, at 3:57 PM, evelyn sardina <evelynsardina@ yahoo.com> wrote:

      Thanks. So does this mean that it can be used with any air conditioner or
      will it have to be something like the split air kind?