Sunsource

  • Chris Boyer
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 21, 2010

      The SunSource home energy system from Lennox is an Andalay solar kit (integrated microinverter and racking on the module).  Lennox worked out a connection (splice kit) in their AC unit such that the modules (up to 15) can be plugged into the AC source circuit because the wiring is usually made for 50 Amps with a 50 Amp breaker.  It works the same as a Grid-tie system.  Its all been approved by the leading solar NEC experts. Really Cool!  Lennox developed some of the early systems with Standard Renewable Energy in North Texas so I'm sure you can get such a system from them since they do solar and they are a Lennox installer.

      Or - if you wanted to do-it-yourself (which I don't recommend) you can buy an Andalay system at Lowes and tie into your homes electrical system at either the electrical box, or at the air conditioner (after installing the right disconnect and splice kit).

      1.

      sunsource home energy system

      Posted by: "evelyn sardina" evelynsardina@...   evelynsardina

      Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:37 pm (PDT)

      Does anyone know if the sunsource energy system is a good way to
      go for home energy. i have been seeing adds on television where
      Lennox is promoting their airconditioners. Thanks.
    • evelyn sardina
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 22, 2010
        Thanks. So does this mean that it can be used with any air conditioner or
        will it have to be something like the spit air kind?

        Posted by: "evelyn sardina" evelynsardina@ yahoo.com   evelynsardina

        Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:37 pm (PDT)

        Does anyone know if the sunsource energy system is a good way to
        go for home energy. i have been seeing adds on television where
        Lennox is promoting their airconditioners. Thanks.

      • Justin Owens
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 22, 2010
          I'd suspect any unit would work, as it's pretty much a grid tied system utilizing the A/C branch circuit, however the splice kit by Lennox is the key component of the integration, so this could be an issue. It seems to me more like a ploy to sell Lennox ac systems when all it really is, is a grid tied PV system. Good for marketing, though. It's a great way to get people interested in solar and that alone is truly beneficial.

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 24, 2010
            How good are the Lenox systems compared to others? If I wanted to use it to
            power a refridgerator alone would that be a solution or not? Also, if this is a grid
            tied deal then could it be hooked up to a battery in case of a power outage? Thanks.

            On Jul 22, 2010, at 3:57 PM, evelyn sardina <evelynsardina@ yahoo.com> wrote:

            Thanks. So does this mean that it can be used with any air conditioner or
            will it have to be something like the split air kind?

          • justin@gulfcoastrenewableresources.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 25, 2010

               I can't speak for Lennox air conditioners myself. I'm not at all familiar with them. If all you are wanting is a refrigerator powered by solar, then you would just get a PV system and bypass the Lennox air conditioner. A standard grid-tied system with a battery backup would work for that. We are just finishing up a 2.22 kW grid-tied system with battery backup in Galveston that will power a refrigerator, ceiling fan and several wall receptacles in a homeowner's kitchen. If you are asking whether the a/c unit could be powered by the solar during a power outage, given a battery bank, then the answer is yes...but it would take a pretty large PV system and require isolation of the a/c branch circuit. I'd recommend a smaller DC powered air conditioner for single room comfort to save some money.

              But then again, if you have the money to throw at it, just cover your roof with panels and fill your garage with batteries. ;)

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 25, 2010
                Thanks....

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 25, 2010
                  Justin,

                  What was the total installation cost including batteries & inverters?  How much battery power do you have?

                  Ahmad Solomon

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 25, 2010

                    Hi Ahmad,

                    We used 8, 200 aH batteries with the Magnum Mini Panel/Sinewave Inverter Control Center w/ 10, 220 W panels and micro-inverters. The cost ended up being around 20K...not including any incentives. The cool thing about it is that although it only powers her kitchen area in a power outage, it acts as a standard grid-tied system when the grid is up and running, feeding her main service panel once the batteries are charged and her sub-panel loads(kitchen) have been taken care of.

                    Pretty cool stuff!

                    -Justin Owens

                    From: justin@gulfcoastren ewableresources. com <justin@gulfcoastren ewableresources. com>
                    To: hreg@yahoogroups. com