Another suggestion on controlling oil from the BP blowout

  • chasmauch@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6, 2010
      There have been hundreds of suggestions on how to control oil from this "spill" (don't you love how the media refer to this gusher?) but one simple approach seems logical to me.

      Presumably the oil rises more or less straight up from the hole, so rather than using hundreds of miles of containment floats to try to gather it up after it is widely dispersed, why don't they just form a circle with about a 2 or 3 mile radius around the well and contain it there, pumping it out into tankers or whatever?

      Of course this might cause a pretty deep accumulation around the rig on the surface which might be dangerous to the crew, but they aren't doing much good anyway and may as well quit - the relief wells are the only real hope of stopping the "leak" permanently.

      Charlie
    • Scarsella, Thomas M. (JSC-IS4)[TESSADA &
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 7, 2010

        Considering the depth of the wellhead and the currents I think the circle would be much larger than a few miles across.  A boom large enough to do that job, even if it were available,  would not last long in the open ocean nor keep its shape.  It would rapidly deform .   Moving ships and equipment in and around it would also be difficult, especially when trying to support the ongoing drilling.