Food for thought

  • Steve Stelzer
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 27, 2001
      UM. HAVEN'T WE LEARNED ANYTHING?
      People across the former Soviet Union offered their prayers yesterday
      to victims of the Chernobyl disaster, 15 years after the world's
      worst nuclear accident occurred in Ukraine. The Ukrainian government
      says that more than 70,000 people were fully disabled by the accident
      and more than 4,000 who took part in the clean-up have died. At
      least 7 million people in Belarus, Russia, and Ukraine suffer
      physical or psychological effects from the radiation released during
      the catastrophe. Meanwhile, half of Americans now say they support
      using nuclear plants to produce electricity, an increase over two
      years ago, according to an Associated Press poll. And the nuclear
      industry may soon seek its first permit in decades to build a new
      plant in the U.S.

      straight to the source: Contra Costa Times, Associated Press, Sergei
      Shargorodsky, Apr 27 2001
      <http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/world/stories/2chernobyl_20010427.htm>

      straight to the source: MSNBC.com, Associated Press, 25 Apr 2001
      <http://www.msnbc.com/news/564225.asp>

      straight to the source: CNN.com, Associated Press, 26 Apr 2001
      <http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/science/04/26/nuclearrevival.ap/index.html>
    • Claude Foster
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 30, 2001
        This little treatise is in response to Mr. Stelzer's question last Friday on
        the remembrance of Chernobyl. These are my thoughts on the spur of the
        moment and I trust that they will make your day a little happier (no offense
        intended) .

        What really happened at Chernobyl? What activities and decisions lead to the
        accident? Do you have any brief sequence of events beginning from the
        decision to use this reactor design?

        How many Americans are disabled or disable others (disabled > not able to
        produce enough to sustain themselves) by substance abuse annually?
        How many Americans are disabled or disable others by use of automobiles
        annually?
        How many Americans are disabled by medical murder (abortion) annually?

        The numbers that are quoted here for questionable Soviet economic/technical
        priorities do not reflect on the price of Tea in China nor do they fairly
        represent the benefits of ample, inexpensive energy. We enjoy the benefits,
        although there were many unfortunate death of the constructors, of dams in
        the US that provided the energy to produce goods and equipment to win WW2.
        The continued use of dams may not be the best source of new energy. However
        the wise application of electrical power facilitates production of tools and
        equipment to make life more pleasant. Conservation of resources including
        human life, hydrocarbons and potable water must be constant considerations
        in our building and equipment designs.

        Death happens. Life is not so certain. What can we do to make the interim
        from conception to resurrection the best possible for ourselves and for
        other human beings. A good life on this earth may be the prelude to death.
        Who can predict or produce a good life. The directions are not easy to read
        for most of us and we often want to revise them to suit our whim.

        Wisdom is hard for me to attain - Who can tell how or when we become wise.
        Abundant inexpensive energy has been available for years but we have been
        forced to use valuable natural resources for transportation, space
        conditioning and food production. Perhaps the next generation will be more
        successful in developing energy sources other than using hydrocarbon
        conversion. Positive, forward thinking and perhaps a little dreaming could
        lead to wisdom.

        What great accomplishment is your future?