Action alert: Tar sands official meeting Friday, 6/18 7pm.

  • Nan Hildreth
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 15, 2010
    Thanks for your efforts to protect our climate and our air. But it
    will all be erased if we allow Canadian tar sand oil to be
    developed. Tar sands create more pollution than conventional oil.
    Getting the crude out of the sand takes a lot of fossil fuels, 2
    barrels for every 3 barrels produced. What's more, the oil from tar
    sands is heavy, high-sulfur crude and, if piped to Houston for
    refining, as planned, would add tons of noxious gases and dirt to
    Houston's air.

    Instead our energy companies should invest in other kinds of energy
    that return more energy, clean energy. Wind, for example, returns 4
    to 10 units of CLEAN energy for every unit of dirty energy
    invested. Hydro-electric Energy Returned on Energy Invested (EROEI)
    can be 45. They are setting up hydro plant at Lake Livingston dam,
    50 miles north of Houston. And the EROEI of being more thrifty with
    our energy is enormous. But the EROEI for tar sands is estimated
    at just 1 & half.

    In spite of all this, oil companies have asked the Department of
    State for a permit to build a pipeline for tar sand oil from Canada
    to Houston-area refineries. The State Department has scheduled the
    first Houston public meeting on the environmental impact for this
    Friday, June 18th, 7pm to 9pm at Channelview High School.

    Texas Sierra Club is leading opposition to this Keystone XL Pipeline
    Project, but they need your help. Please attend the meeting to tell
    the Department of State and the community, including , oil companies
    and energy investors, that we oppose tar sands because we care about
    clean air and a stable climate and sea level.

    If you cannot come to east Houston on Friday, please send in this
    easy online letter http://action.sierraclub.org/NoKeyStoneXL

    This recorded, formal public meeting will be in Channelview High
    School in the Auditorium of the New Campus, 1100 Sheldon Road,
    Channelview, Tx 77530 on Friday June 18, 7-9pm. Directions from 610
    east and I-10, east on I-10 past Beltway 8, exit #783 Sheldon Road,
    left (north) on Sheldon-Dezavalla Road and go 1 mile.

    For more information, see the attached flyer or contact Evelyn Merz,
    713-644-8228 or 713-201-4061 (cell) or elmerz@... or Brandt
    Mannchen, 713-664-5962 or brandtshnfbt@...

    Nan Hildreth 713-842-6643

    Action is the antidote to despair....