Forum Tonight on Dirty Tar Sands action campaign

  • Nan Hildreth
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 10, 2010
      For global warming, the most important issue is
      opposing new investment in dirty energy, like
      coal and tar sands. Oil companies have asked the
      US government for a permit to run pipelines from
      Canada's tar sand fields to the states. Sierra
      Club is leading the movement to oppose
      this. Please sign this online letter before June
      Houston folks, please also attend the public
      forum tonight 7pm at 1805 W Alabama which is St. Stephen's Episcopal Church.

      Nan Hildreth 713-842-6643

      Houston Air Quality Forum, Thursday, June 10
      Dirty Tar Sands Threaten Health, Safety and Economic Development in Texas

      Ian Davis, 512.476.2053 w., 512.466.6939 c.

      WHO: Houston Air Quality Forum hosted by the Houston Sierra Club Group
      Matthew Tejada, Air Alliance Houston (featured speaker)
      WHEN: Thursday, June 10, 7:00 PM - Social, 7:30 PM ­ Program
      WHERE: St. Stephen's Episcopal Church - Pecore Hall, 1805 West Alabama

      WHAT: Recently, the Department of State released its Draft
      Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for the massive Keystone XL tar
      sands pipeline operated by TransCanada designed to carry tar sands oil
      from Canada into the United States. This pipeline threatens our
      country's burgeoning clean energy economy and represents a return to
      our highly destructive and damaging addiction to fossil fuels.

      The proposed pipeline, if built, would run across sensitive east Texas
      wildlands and end at two terminals on the Texas coast ­ one in Port
      Arthur, the other in Houston. Hearings were held in east Texas towns
      but no hearing has been held in Houston. The tar sands pipeline
      should concern all Houstonites because this dirty fuel would be
      refined in Houston and cause worse air quality problems for our

      A public comment period on the proposal closes on June 15. More
      information is available at www.sierraclub.org/stopthepipe.

      Over its lifecycle ­ the synthetic crude oil produced from tar sands
      emits 20% more global warming pollution than conventional oil.
      Furthermore, because tar sands oil is a heavier crude, the U.S.
      refineries that process it, will produce higher levels of pollutants
      leading to more smog, haze and acid rain.

      Replacing 900,000 barrels per day of conventional oil with tar sands
      oil ­ the amount this pipeline would carry - would result in
      approximately 38 million metric tons of additional greenhouse gas
      emissions per year, equal to adding over 6 million cars to our roads.
      The U.S. transportation sector already accounts for one third of our
      global warming emissions. We cannot afford to increase these emissions
      through the importation and use of tar sands oil.

      The pipeline is designed to cross 554 acres of wetlands and 91 streams
      that support recreational or commercial fisheries; 32 of those streams
      are in Texas! The State Department’s document addresses the potential
      for spills saying, “The locations of greatest concern for potential
      oil spills would be in sensitive environmental areas, especially
      wetlands, flowing streams and rivers, and water intakes for drinking
      water or commercial/industrial users.”
      Donna Hoffman
      Communications Coordinator
      Lone Star Chapter of the Sierra Club
      512-477-1729 ofc
      512-299-5776 cell

      Check out our Listserv Lists support site for more information:

      Nan Hildreth 713-842-6643

      Action is the antidote to despair....
      Joan Baez