RE: [hreg] Next Step, responding

  • Kevin Conlin
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 4, 2010

      Thanks Tom, I don’t think you were off message at all, you were succinct and realistic.

      Kevin Conlin
      Heliosolar Design, Inc.
      13534 Quetzal Lane
      Houston , TX 77083
      Cell: 281-202-9629
      From: Robert Johnston <junk1@plastability. com>
      To: hreg@yahoogroups. com
      Date: Thursday, June 3, 2010, 7:16 AM

      This board/group has a mix of scientists, engineers, renewable energy representatives, homeowners, hobbyists, general tinkerers…etc.  There are those that love to rant against corporations, big oil, etc.  I personally like to read postings from people with inside knowledge, whether they be in the solar industry, oil industry, or whatever, so long as related to renewable and sustainability (and I think some peripheral discussion of alternatives like oil, nuclear, etc., fit into that discussion).  I don’t care for rants that much.  I think Ahmad has made a number of valuable contributions to this discussion on BP/oil spill situation (which was not started by him), and I think it is a shame that he is being asked to shut up (and so rudely).  Diversity of opinion and information is how we learn, and that is why I participate here.  For those that want this to just be an activist group pushing a leftist anti-corporate agenda, this may be unacceptable.  But the reality is that big corporations are also behind the solar industry.  Hmmm…. Come to think of it, anybody heard of BP Solar?  GE Wind Power?  Shall we attack GE wind power for the role GE played in the derivatives/ banking scandal?

      Why don’t we just accept the diversity of views, and if you don’t like a particular slant—whether leftist, centrist, or rightist, whether pro-corporate or anti-corporate—just skip the post or else post a response (without personal attacks)?

      Robert

      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 4, 2010

        Of course, I wasn’t suggesting that Ahmad was minimizing the spill itself, but rather, that he was minimizing in the sense of downplaying.  I think you were pulling my leg since you used the word yourself in that way in your second paragraph.  ;-)

        As for human error, what else would it be?  It was either a human error or an ‘act of God’ (i.e., natural event, random bad luck).  Seems pretty obvious to everyone that it was a human-caused event.  The gas and oil didn’t spontaneously erupt from the ocean floor; it was a result of human drilling activity.  Since it wasn’t intentional (conspiracy theories aside), it was an error.  I don’t think that minimizes the responsibility or culpability at all, and I can’t imagine that was Ahmad’s intent.  And yes, I’m aware of BP’s record at Texas City etc.  But that doesn’t mean it wasn’t an error.  Incompetence, bad judgment or even negligence, but not intentional.  Why would they knowingly and intentionally ruin all their hard drilling work, knowing they would destroy the company’s market value in the process?  So, it was an error.

        All of life is a series of risk vs. reward judgments.  We can always armchair quarterback and state the obvious after the fact.  But it isn’t so obvious up-front (or else we’d have avoided it).  And we willingly take risks because the perceived risk is lower than the actual risk.  I see people everyday driving zoned out while they talk on their cellphones, and sometimes they do crazy stuff like change into my lane without looking at  me at all—I have to brake to avoid being run into.  I’m sure they all think THEY can do it safely even if others can’t.  So their perceived risk is less than the actual risk.  I take a risk everyday I drive to work.  But my perception of the risk is that it is low and that the rewards of working are worth it.  If you ask me again after I have a bad accident and am quadriplegic I’ll tell you the actual risk was higher than I realized and that if I’d known I’d end up in that state, I’d have never gone to work; nothing I was doing there was worth being paralyzed the rest of my (shortened) life.

        I’m not saying BP made a good judgment of risk vs. reward.  I think they made a bad one.  But everybody makes these kinds of judgments, and we often decide wrong like BP did.    And even if some people at BP made bad decisions, there are thousand of BP employees and most of them are like you and me—going to work each day to work hard for their families and trying to make the world a better place, providing products that people need.  I can’t go along with the demonizing for that reason.  Neither can I go along with the hypocrisy of demonizing while living a livestyle that utilizes the fruits of the labor of the demonized.

        Robert

        From: John P. Matznick <jpmatznick@...>
        To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Wednesday, June 2, 2010, 9:46 PM

        Thanks Ahmad.

        On another note, I had been talking with some colleagues this last weekend about the reuse of oil platforms off many US coasts. Once they get shut down or when the oil runs dry, whichever comes first, would they make good locations for sustainable eco colonies, ports? Would the colony be able to be its own county if in international waters? What is the realistic lifespan of these platforms if they are still maintained and what needs to be maintained if anything?

        Power would be supplied by multiple sources, med to large scale wind about a mile from the platform, solar electric and thermal, wave systems, drinkable water from desalinization and Atmospheric water generator, multiple levels of gardens with Hydroponics and Aeroponics, Etc...

        I remember seeing a show in the UK about a couple that bought one off the coast of Scotland but have not found any info on them.

        Regards

        John P. Matznick

        Renewable Energy & Sustainability Consultant

        Green Tech Fusion

        888.642.0226

        www.GreenTechFusion .com -  Sustainable & Renewable Technologies