Re: [hreg] Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill - Part III

  • William & Cynthia Stange
    Message 1 of 74 , May 30 6:46 AM
      BP is really responding with all they can do. BUT, they were supposed to have this in place BEFORE this negligence, and that is what it is!!! Their spill-response plan was handed to Congress as a ten-page document held together with a paper clip? COME ON!
      Now we have Halliburton fleeing the country for "tax" reasons? They are setting up in Dubai and will probably lose plenty of needed document in the coming criminal cases. BP's technology IS wonderful but again their corporate greed is over the top. Adarco, Japans Mitsui are the other players in this WORLD disaster. Some engineers are saying with a well this size and pressure there should have been relief wells simultaneously drilled when deepwater was going - any comments out there on that one? That would have made a hell of a lot of sense to me. Now there is discussion (only discussion so far) of using a nuke to stop the well?? What in Gods name is wrong with us. To serve memory, this part of the Gulf already has a "dead zone" from a century of fertilizer runoff. The ecosystem there has defaulted to a very prehistoric level of organisms (Worm, Bacterium and Jellyfish). Is this the Petro-chemicals companies petri dish? I would like anyone who has the
      gumption to write,call email the White House and request Halliburons assets be frozen and a cease/desist of their move overseas.
      William

      Message 74 of 74 , Jun 5, 2010

        Same problem - a disagreement on the rig about the better course of action. The "company man" I'm not sure which one vetoed the driller's recommendation (on IXTOC) to cut the string above the drill collars and let the collars fall to the bottom for recovery after the well was brought under control.  At least that is what a driller told me on a rig one night in Montana.

        The BOP shear rams wouldn't then and won't now cut through drill collars.

        Human error (Major Screw-up) seems to be common to a lot of major disasters. I believe that the problems on Horizon extends through many years of government regulations, "industry recommended practices", well design, events on the rig leading up to the fatal night.

        There are several interviews on youtube in anyone can stand to watch.

        As sad as it may be - this will happen again if we don't learn from this.

        Ed Sarlls, Jr.