Re: [hreg] Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill - Part III

  • betina wolfowicz
    Message 1 of 74 , May 28, 2010
      Ahmad, I am sure you are right, money has no scruples.  Yet it is all of us who feed the business with our socially endorsed consumption habits.  Betina

      From: Ed Sarlls <edsarlls@comcast. net>
      Subject: Re: [hreg] Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill
      To: hreg@yahoogroups. com
      Date: Sunday, May 16, 2010, 12:34 PM

      Verification on undersurface oil plumes:

      Message 74 of 74 , Jun 5, 2010

        Same problem - a disagreement on the rig about the better course of action. The "company man" I'm not sure which one vetoed the driller's recommendation (on IXTOC) to cut the string above the drill collars and let the collars fall to the bottom for recovery after the well was brought under control.  At least that is what a driller told me on a rig one night in Montana.

        The BOP shear rams wouldn't then and won't now cut through drill collars.

        Human error (Major Screw-up) seems to be common to a lot of major disasters. I believe that the problems on Horizon extends through many years of government regulations, "industry recommended practices", well design, events on the rig leading up to the fatal night.

        There are several interviews on youtube in anyone can stand to watch.

        As sad as it may be - this will happen again if we don't learn from this.

        Ed Sarlls, Jr.